The Monkey Inn.

Discussion in 'Locations' started by Pete., Nov 13, 2015.

Draft saved Draft deleted
  1. Brian Johns

Brian Johns Well-Known Member

Looks like it is in even better condition than when I was there a month ago. I didn't look inside though. The disabled parking bays looked like they had been repainted relatively recently, surely something you wouldn't do if the place was going to be demolished!

2. Pete.

Pete. Well-Known Member

Hi Neil Hi Marianna,
    Marianna Thank you xxx
    I'v been on loads of walks over the summer and everywhere I go reminds me of an episode,I'v only for ten more shifts to do as a Paramedic so may have even more time soon,it means a lot that you said that Thankyou
    Neil there are no signs to say it's for sale or anything and it is spotless inside and out,all the "art" has been cleared from inside and it is clean and empty,and they have scrubbed the daubings from the car park and repainted the walls and tidied inside,surely not something you'd do if you were going to demolish it and build houses,in a peverse way I was disappointed because I'd always planned getting those lamps and meeting you at Sids Cafe but it's more important the pub remains,take care,my email is prsenlac@gmail.com and I am on Twitter @senlacblade I don't do facebook,will be in touch x

3. captain clutterbuck

captain clutterbuck Well-Known Member

Pete,

Thank you so much for posting, as Marianna says looks too good to demolish . I wonder if it is up for sale certainly looks like that so called "artist :08:" has moved on . Is it basically empty inside or did you go no closer than from where you took the photos?

4. Marianna

Marianna Well-Known Member

Thanks for the current photos. You're right. The pub is looking much too good to be demolished.

Great to see you on the forum again, however briefly.

5. Pete.

Pete. Well-Known Member

Monkey today. 20170814_143911-3096x1742.jpg 20170814_143911-3096x1742.jpg 20170814_144016-3096x1742.jpg 20170814_143931-3096x1742.jpg

maltrab likes this.
  6. Pete.

Pete. Well-Known Member

Hi all,
    Captain hi mate I took these photos of the Monkey this afternoon,our resident artist has left and they've cleaned the place up,perhaps they're not going to knock it down for houses after all,it looked very clean today and the inside is spotless too,take care,
    Rick my phone has deleted your email by itself,hello mate.

maltrab likes this.
  7. gill

gill Guest

Thank's for sharing your photo Pete. I watched the episode yesterday and The Monkey looked a really looked a pub. Take care.

8. Pete.

Pete. Well-Known Member

That's really funny captain,I think you have a really sharp wit and a natural comedy talent,I'v done with the photos for now,just put the last Scar Hole Lane one on the Swan Man thread,and back to work,I'll either try and get to the demolition,or go rummage through the skip for the two porch lanterns,or two of the four chrome lights that light up the Monkey sign on the wall.

9. captain clutterbuck

captain clutterbuck Well-Known Member

The Monkey Inn

Nice shot Pete captures Holmfirth's very own Austin Powers hiding behind the wall looking not so "Cool" [ apologies its my most hated expression but ] hiding from Holmfirth's very own Doctor Evil, disguised in glasses and beige beret.

10. Pete.

Pete. Well-Known Member

The Monkey was on tv yesterday,in the episode Barry in Danger from Reading and Aunt Bessie,it looked lovely,but every time I see it in an episode I will think of it with all the Cool,Peace Man daubings,
    I'll put photos of its demolition on this thread,and if I can't get,the aftermath
    [​IMG]

11. Pete.

Pete. Well-Known Member

I don't understand it either dick,I looked on a forum and apparently it happened before when a server was down and they were restored,don't know if that's what happened today,I put four on today (8 Photos) and they all appear to have come back :)

12. dick

dick Well-Known Member

Strange thing Pete, I took and "saved" some of your now photos to use as wallpaper. Todays clutch are not to be found on my 'puter?? I've no idea how or why. Like Cleggy I failed toaster! ??? :13:

13. Pete.

Pete. Well-Known Member

Thanks Gill,isn't it awful whats happened to such a beautiful pub,one of our pubs too,
    I'm glad you saw the photos,I'm losing them at an alarming rate,and these might be next,
    Somethings wrong with the host,photobucket,and they're getting deleted,
    And when they go from there,they also disappear from here,lost all my new ones too that I'v yet to put on,
    Hopefully it's only temporary,
    Take care x

14. gill

gill Guest

Hi Pete. Thank 's for sharing your photo's. It is so sad to see it now, it looked such a lovely pub before.

15. Pete.

Pete. Well-Known Member

If anyone wants to see INSIDE the pub as it is now check out the Anthony Youel film on youtube called "Open some hours" it's less than 2 minutes,I thought it was completely gutted,but the bar is still there,
    Pete.

16. Marianna

No I haven't seen any of the videos. Doubt if I'd appreciate them, based on the visual evidence of the owner's taste. (And I was once a wanna-be hippie, too!)

17. Pete.

Pete. Well-Known Member

Did you see any of the videos filmed in the pub and the car park Marianna ?
    Can't say too much but,wow !!!

18. Pete.

Pete. Well-Known Member

I'm not on Facebook Pearl,but I bet when they saw it they were as upset and outraged as I felt,I didn't even know it had shut down till my original post,during my time off I was going to drive over for a meal,imagine how you would feel thinking it was the same as in the show going for a meal and you turned up and saw that !

19. Marianna

Apparently the owner didn't receive the memo stating that the 70's are over.

20. Pearl

Pearl Super Moderator Staff Member

Someone as posted a couple of pictures of it on our Facebook page, very sad to see it like that.