The Monkey Inn.

Pete.

Dedicated Member
Barnsley Council yesterday announced they were going to demolish the Monkey Inn to make way for a housing development,how sad,it was used quite a lot in the later series,it's not too far from where I live,I'll try and take some then and now photos before they knock it down :-(
Ps I meant THE Monkey Inn not THW monkey Inn
but can't seemto edit the title
edit -

Last edited by a moderator:
Barnsley Council yesterday announced they were going to demolish the Monkey Inn to make way for a housing development,how sad,it was used quite a lot in the later series,it's not too far from where I live,I'll try and take some then and now photos before they knock it down :-(

Pete the editing issue is in a couple of the themes, in fact the one I use has the same problem, so if I need to edit after posting, I switch to the default theme,edit then switch back

Hi Pete. Such a shame they are knocking The Monkey Inn down, it looked a really nice pub alot of space inside. It will be great to see your photo's. Take care.

Thanks gill,I don't have a "then" photo of it so will watch a few episodes and try to get some,as heartbreaking as it would be,if I can find out when I will go when they knock it down and take a couple of photos then,it will be a sad day though,anything that's part of our show that is taken away is awful,
I'v been trying to get up to New Mill all week to visit some locations that I have photos of,but the weather has been really bad,the only half decent day was yesterday when I went to visit my Daughter,Emily in Liverpool,plus it gets dark before 4pm,I'v a few days yet,although I have a couple of days taken up,going to York,and stopping overnight another day at Harrogate when I go to see a great English Folk band called Bellowhead,
Thanks for the post gill
x
ps I always want to put Gill but your username is gill,which do you prefer ?

The Monkey Inn

Wow Pete how long has it been closed ? In LOTSW terms its one of the iconic pubs they used, this is happening all too often . In Newcastle during the summer months Ray Laidlaw the drummer from Lindisfarne and a guy who worked on the Tube set up a tour of iconic pubs where famous musicians from the area played in times gone by , but so many have been knocked down a lot of time is spent trying to imagine what they were like , for example the Tube was filmed at Tyne Tees Studio [also now knocked down] and there was a pub next door the Egypt Cottage where all the stars on the Tube used to go pre and post performance , its now been demolished to build student flats. I saw Bellowhead at the Sage Newcastle a while back great band hope you enjoy.

Hi Pete. I don"t mind Gill or gill will be fine. Hope you have a great few day"s. Take care

Sorry to see that they plan to get rid of the pub.

Isn't that the place Alvin tricked Nora into thinking he was meeting a mystery lady? Norah and Ivy go to spy on Alvin. Also, possibly in that episode Pearl thought Howard was meeting someone through a newspaper ad? Pearl and Roz go in disguise to catch Howard. Can't think of the episode but trying to picture what the pub looks like in my head. Maybe I will come across it in an episode soon.

Cheers,
Rick

Wow Pete how long has it been closed ? In LOTSW terms its one of the iconic pubs they used, this is happening all too often . In Newcastle during the summer months Ray Laidlaw the drummer from Lindisfarne and a guy who worked on the Tube set up a tour of iconic pubs where famous musicians from the area played in times gone by , but so many have been knocked down a lot of time is spent trying to imagine what they were like , for example the Tube was filmed at Tyne Tees Studio [also now knocked down] and there was a pub next door the Egypt Cottage where all the stars on the Tube used to go pre and post performance , its now been demolished to build student flats. I saw Bellowhead at the Sage Newcastle a while back great band hope you enjoy.
I feel quite upset by this news captain,and I know I shouldn't with all that's going on in the World,but its another small part of Summer Wine that will be gone forever.
The last session at the pub was August 1st this year,and yesterday Barnsley Council approved its demolition to make way for new houses.
If I can get,I shall watch it being knocked down with a tear in my eye.
I know all this because I follow lots of news and sports reporters and newspapers on Twitter,I find its the quickest way to get news,and the Barnsley Chronicle reported it yesterday,isn't it a shame,like you say all those pubs gone,and its the same everywhere,
Wow have you seen Bellowhead,they're supposed to be one of the best live bands,never seen them but have all their albums,I saw and met Sam Sweeney recently,the fiddle player,he was doing a beautiful play in Sheffield called Made In The Great War,the audience were leaving in tears,I'm looking forward to all the shanties like New York Girls,10,000 miles,Yarmouth Town etc,but I like the slower ones too like Fakenham Fair and the stories like Bruton Town,
Thanks for the post,if I hear when the demolition is I'll post it,and try to get to take photos.
Pete.

Isn't that the place Alvin tricked Nora into thinking he was meeting a mystery lady? Norah and Ivy go to spy on Alvin. Also, possibly in that episode Pearl thought Howard was meeting someone through a newspaper ad? Pearl and Roz go in disguise to catch Howard. Can't think of the episode but trying to picture what the pub looks like in my head. Maybe I will come across it in an episode soon.

Cheers,
Rick
Its been in loads of episodes Rick,you will definitely know it,a large creamy mustardy coloured building with lots of open space around it,I'll try and get a photo.

Not the best photo Rick,but you'll recognise the pub,and yes,it was the pub in the scenes you mentioned.
monkey_zps6vsflezc.png

Cheers,
Rick

I think it was Nelly with Pearl, that time. The pub also featured in Hermione and Elegy for Small Creature.

I feel quite upset by this news captain,and I know I shouldn't with all that's going on in the World,but its another small part of Summer Wine that will be gone forever.
The last session at the pub was August 1st this year,and yesterday Barnsley Council approved its demolition to make way for new houses.
If I can get,I shall watch it being knocked down with a tear in my eye.
I know all this because I follow lots of news and sports reporters and newspapers on Twitter,I find its the quickest way to get news,and the Barnsley Chronicle reported it yesterday,isn't it a shame,like you say all those pubs gone,and its the same everywhere,
Wow have you seen Bellowhead,they're supposed to be one of the best live bands,never seen them but have all their albums,I saw and met Sam Sweeney recently,the fiddle player,he was doing a beautiful play in Sheffield called Made In The Great War,the audience were leaving in tears,I'm looking forward to all the shanties like New York Girls,10,000 miles,Yarmouth Town etc,but I like the slower ones too like Fakenham Fair and the stories like Bruton Town,
Thanks for the post,if I hear when the demolition is I'll post it,and try to get to take photos.
Pete.

Pete,

Yes saw them at the Sage Newcastle not long after Hedonism album was getting airplay and they were getting recognition. Sage is not your average gig hall its seated but they generated such fervour that people were up jigging about . I hope they continue to generate that level of excitement and you enjoy the gig . Sad to see the pub go such fond memories sure it features in the episode when Smiler gets the Dear John letter from Hermoine and spends the whole episode reciting her name . Pretty sure its the Monkey where they go to cheer him up and then catch Howard out with Truly's coat and hat on lamp stand telling Howard its a detective hired by Pearl.[ apologies if I'm wrong ] . Will you be trying to secure some small part of the pub when it goes as a sentimental reminder , I think if I was there I couldn't resist it.

Do you know captain,what a brilliant idea,that thought never crossed my mind but it is now something I absolutely intend to do,I expect it will remain boarded up until the demolishers arrive,so I don't know the chances of that,I will try to find out who is doing it and when,my biggest problem is finding out when its going to happen,as I expect the news of the impending destruction won't be announced,who do you think I should contact to get my souvenir,and what type of souvenir do you think ?
I always intended getting some screen shots from The second Husband and the Showgirls,and going in and taking some now photos of where Barry got accosted,and the table at the lower level under the balcony where they sat,but unless the workmen let me in one last time my chances of that are over,with todays health and safety madness I can't see it happening,
I won't be on here the rest of the day,I'm going with my Son to Bramall Lane to watch my team get beaten by Southend United,
Once again thanks for the post,and for that brilliant idea,If I can't get in I will at least get a brick,my wife will think I am nuts,but I would love to get a souvenir,
All the best,Pete.

Before getting ready to go out I'v done a bit of quick research,the current owner/landlord of the Monkey is a gentleman called Anthony Youel who is an Artist and known locally as an eccentric,as many Artists are,he displays his sculptures and Artwork,some of which are not to everones taste,in the pub car park,I'v found him on Twitter and given him a follow,and fortunately he's followed me back which means I can now start a private and lengthy dialogue (otherwise it would be limited to 140 characters and everone could read it) I'mhoping that it ultimately leads me to an invite at the demolition and a souvenir,even if its only a brick,hope so,he seems a nice man,thanks again captain.
I'm off now to see SUFC v SUFC,a rare event.
(Sheffield United Football Club v Southend United Football Club)

thw Monkey Inn

Step aside Poirot there's a new kid on the block . Brilliant detective work Pete and good luck with the quest, looks like you've shortened the odds to get to what will be a very moving demolition and increased the chances of getting a lasting souvenir from this iconic pub . I imagine a lot of LOTSW fans would like the opportunity to be there for posterity.

I'm off now to see SUFC v SUFC,a rare event.
(Sheffield United Football Club v Southend United Football Club)

Remind me not to introduce you to my eldest Pete, She's an Owl . Don't ask me why , it just happened!!:confused:
She always laughs at the part where Compo ends a conversation by saying ""Except on Sheffield Wednesday!!":16:

... unless the workmen let me in one last time my chances of that are over,with todays health and safety madness I can't see it happening.

Maybe if you showed up wearing a hard hat, safety goggles and steel-toed boots ... (Really. For once, not kidding.)

souvenir

Do you know captain,what a brilliant idea,that thought never crossed my mind but it is now something I absolutely intend to do,I expect it will remain boarded up until the demolishers arrive,so I don't know the chances of that,I will try to find out who is doing it and when,my biggest problem is finding out when its going to happen,as I expect the news of the impending destruction won't be announced,who do you think I should contact to get my souvenir,and what type of souvenir do you think ?
I always intended getting some screen shots from The second Husband and the Showgirls,and going in and taking some now photos of where Barry got accosted,and the table at the lower level under the balcony where they sat,but unless the workmen let me in one last time my chances of that are over,with todays health and safety madness I can't see it happening,
I won't be on here the rest of the day,I'm going with my Son to Bramall Lane to watch my team get beaten by Southend United,
Once again thanks for the post,and for that brilliant idea,If I can't get in I will at least get a brick,my wife will think I am nuts,but I would love to get a souvenir,
All the best,Pete.
Hi Pete,
I just read your post and I think a souvenir of the pub is a smashing idea !! If I was in your area I would be right with you !!

Step aside Poirot there's a new kid on the block . Brilliant detective work Pete and good luck with the quest, looks like you've shortened the odds to get to what will be a very moving demolition and increased the chances of getting a lasting souvenir from this iconic pub . I imagine a lot of LOTSW fans would like the opportunity to be there for posterity.
And I was only telling my son yesterday that when I was his age if it wasn't in the old family encyclopedia on the bookshelf it meant a walk down to the library to look through all the reference books,I hope I'm not working when it comes down,I wish it wasn't coming down.

Back