The Monkey Inn.

Remind me not to introduce you to my eldest Pete, She's an Owl . Don't ask me why , it just happened!!:confused:
She always laughs at the part where Compo ends a conversation by saying ""Except on Sheffield Wednesday!!":16:
Oh no dick ! never mind.
Mind you they're doing really well at the moment and we are rubbish.

Maybe if you showed up wearing a hard hat, safety goggles and steel-toed boots ... (Really. For once, not kidding.)
I bet if I did Marianna and I turned up early and gave them a sob story they might let me in for sentimental reasons for a last look,I have all those items supplied by work,I might seriously do that.

Hi Pete,
I just read your post and I think a souvenir of the pub is a smashing idea !! If I was in your area I would be right with you !!
I wish you could avenger,we could go prepared like Howard and take a flask and sandwiches,or a little barbeque like Cooper and Walsh,I never thought about it till the captain suggested it but now I'm determined to speak again to Anthony the current owner,and be there and get a souvenir,
He's moving to Cornwall to continue his work as an artist,
He replied to me today,he said he has been there for 16 years,so must have had it when they did the filming,and he doesn't yet know the date of the demolition,I hope he stays for the demolition and not move to Cornwall not knowing when it's coming down,
If anyone else wants to come and watch I will post any updates or news I have of the intended demolition,how long will it take does anyone know,knowing my luck I will be at work the whole time,if so then it will mean a trip to the site and a rummage through the skip.

I wish you could avenger,we could go prepared like Howard and take a flask and sandwiches,or a little barbeque like Cooper and Walsh,I never thought about it till the captain suggested it but now I'm determined to speak again to Anthony the current owner,and be there and get a souvenir,
He's moving to Cornwall to continue his work as an artist,
He replied to me today,he said he has been there for 16 years,so must have had it when they did the filming,and he doesn't yet know the date of the demolition,I hope he stays for the demolition and not move to Cornwall not knowing when it's coming down,
If anyone else wants to come and watch I will post any updates or news I have of the intended demolition,how long will it take does anyone know,knowing my luck I will be at work the whole time,if so then it will mean a trip to the site and a rummage through the skip.
Pete ,
The sandwich idea sounds like a great one !Unfortunately,I'm all the way over here on the east coast of Canada,so the sandwiches would be spoiled by the time I showed up.LOL !
But,I can guarantee you that I would be up for the adventure.

Regards,
Gary

The Monkey Inn

I bet if I did Marianna and I turned up early and gave them a sob story they might let me in for sentimental reasons for a last look,I have all those items supplied by work,I might seriously do that.

Pete if you decide to go in Hard Hat and steel boots in hope that you can get a temporary job labouring on the demolition , they always ask you two simple questions . Can you make tea ? Answer Yes! Can you drive a Fork Lift Truck? Answering why how big is the £$%^ Tea Pot might get you the job ! :me:

I don't know how to put a link up,not very good with that sort of thing,
but if anyone wants to take a look,the owner and Artist resident in the Monkey put his latest work out on youtube yesterday,in what looks like one of the gutted rooms of the pub,
go to youtube and search:
The zone Anthony Youel

The Monkey Inn

Thanks Pete some of the other stuff about him is an interesting insight , including two slideshows when LOTSW filmed there , which show what I assume to be his son and him , being photographed with some of the cast, dressed in Chelsea shirts plus the videos about the Poetry nights , which the Barnsley Chronicle highlighted in an article in July were what saved the pub from going under for some time . He certainly is an eccentric character . It would be fascinating to get a perspective of what the cast and Alan Bell thought of him .

Thanks captain I didn't know about them,they were interesting,theres three of them,
for anyone else wanting a look,search youtube:
Anthony Youel
or
Last of the Summer Wine at the Monkey Thurgoland part 1,Part 2,Part 3.

This is not graffiti,the pub itself is now a work of art,the landlords works and performance arts can be seen on youtube.
I have heard from Barnsley Council today who are dealing with the demolition,no date has been set yet,I will keep you informed when I hear anything.
I have my eyes on the two lanterns on the porch entrance,if I can make it for demolition day.
Low%20sun%20049_zpsenw4trfy.jpg

Pete the editing issue is in a couple of the themes, in fact the one I use has the same problem, so if I need to edit after posting, I switch to the default theme,edit then switch back
Now I have a few little time on my hands I will persevere and fix these "Theme" irregularities.

And this is why the locals want it knocked down Neil,something I couldn't understand until I visited yesterday,I didn't photograph the car park,it has scrawling all over it and objects like a tatty blue painted armchair and all sorts in it,having viewed Anthonys far out eccentric performance art,I'm not really surprised that the pub has been turned into a work of his art like this,inside the pub is the same,who'd even want a brick with all that pig and peace man daubed all over it,
It's such a shame,it was a beautiful place.

Back