The Monkey Inn.

It is sad to see that some have decided to go crazy with spray paint cans. Would be a nice looking building without the added so called 'art work'. Thank you for the pictures. They will help me think more fondly of the place when I see how it used to be while watching the episodes it appears in.

Rick

Thanks Rick,whenever I see it in an episode I too will be thinking of how it looks now,I wondered why the locals wanted it pulled down,its art apparently,the artist still lives there,you can see his shirts in the upstairs window,I'v spoken to him a few times privately on Twitter and he seems a really nice man,but some of his work and performance art,which can be seen on youtube,is way out there,I could never think of some of the things he's done,
My detective work has gone on to the next stage,its just my luck I'll be working when its coming down,I have periods at work when it is all work and sleep,the owner/landlord Anthony Youel doesn't know when its coming down,I tracked down the department at Barnsley Council who also have no details yet,but they have put me on to the site agents,in charge of it all,they are Michael Clynch Associates of Ingbirchworth,so I'll send them an email.Cheers Rick,Pete.

Someone as posted a couple of pictures of it on our Facebook page, very sad to see it like that.

And this is why the locals want it knocked down Neil,something I couldn't understand until I visited yesterday,I didn't photograph the car park,it has scrawling all over it and objects like a tatty blue painted armchair and all sorts in it,having viewed Anthonys far out eccentric performance art,I'm not really surprised that the pub has been turned into a work of his art like this,inside the pub is the same,who'd even want a brick with all that pig and peace man daubed all over it,
It's such a shame,it was a beautiful place.

Apparently the owner didn't receive the memo stating that the 70's are over.

Someone as posted a couple of pictures of it on our Facebook page, very sad to see it like that.
I'm not on Facebook Pearl,but I bet when they saw it they were as upset and outraged as I felt,I didn't even know it had shut down till my original post,during my time off I was going to drive over for a meal,imagine how you would feel thinking it was the same as in the show going for a meal and you turned up and saw that !

Did you see any of the videos filmed in the pub and the car park Marianna ?
Can't say too much but,wow !!!

No I haven't seen any of the videos. Doubt if I'd appreciate them, based on the visual evidence of the owner's taste. (And I was once a wanna-be hippie, too!)

If anyone wants to see INSIDE the pub as it is now check out the Anthony Youel film on youtube called "Open some hours" it's less than 2 minutes,I thought it was completely gutted,but the bar is still there,
Pete.

Hi Pete. Thank 's for sharing your photo's. It is so sad to see it now, it looked such a lovely pub before.

Thanks Gill,isn't it awful whats happened to such a beautiful pub,one of our pubs too,
I'm glad you saw the photos,I'm losing them at an alarming rate,and these might be next,
Somethings wrong with the host,photobucket,and they're getting deleted,
And when they go from there,they also disappear from here,lost all my new ones too that I'v yet to put on,
Hopefully it's only temporary,
Take care x

Thanks Gill,isn't it awful whats happened to such a beautiful pub,one of our pubs too,
I'm glad you saw the photos,I'm losing them at an alarming rate,and these might be next,
Somethings wrong with the host,photobucket,and they're getting deleted,
And when they go from there,they also disappear from here,lost all my new ones too that I'v yet to put on,
Hopefully it's only temporary,
Take care x

Strange thing Pete, I took and "saved" some of your now photos to use as wallpaper. Todays clutch are not to be found on my 'puter?? I've no idea how or why. Like Cleggy I failed toaster! ??? :13:

I don't understand it either dick,I looked on a forum and apparently it happened before when a server was down and they were restored,don't know if that's what happened today,I put four on today (8 Photos) and they all appear to have come back :)

The Monkey was on tv yesterday,in the episode Barry in Danger from Reading and Aunt Bessie,it looked lovely,but every time I see it in an episode I will think of it with all the Cool,Peace Man daubings,
I'll put photos of its demolition on this thread,and if I can't get,the aftermath
M%20001_zpswa1l9ggb.jpg

The Monkey Inn

Nice shot Pete captures Holmfirth's very own Austin Powers hiding behind the wall looking not so "Cool" [ apologies its my most hated expression but ] hiding from Holmfirth's very own Doctor Evil, disguised in glasses and beige beret.

That's really funny captain,I think you have a really sharp wit and a natural comedy talent,I'v done with the photos for now,just put the last Scar Hole Lane one on the Swan Man thread,and back to work,I'll either try and get to the demolition,or go rummage through the skip for the two porch lanterns,or two of the four chrome lights that light up the Monkey sign on the wall.

Thank's for sharing your photo Pete. I watched the episode yesterday and The Monkey looked a really looked a pub. Take care.

Hi all,
Captain hi mate I took these photos of the Monkey this afternoon,our resident artist has left and they've cleaned the place up,perhaps they're not going to knock it down for houses after all,it looked very clean today and the inside is spotless too,take care,
Rick my phone has deleted your email by itself,hello mate.

Thanks for the current photos. You're right. The pub is looking much too good to be demolished.

Great to see you on the forum again, however briefly.

Back