The Monkey Inn.

Pete,

Thank you so much for posting, as Marianna says looks too good to demolish . I wonder if it is up for sale certainly looks like that so called "artist :08:" has moved on . Is it basically empty inside or did you go no closer than from where you took the photos?

Hi Neil Hi Marianna,
Marianna Thank you xxx
I'v been on loads of walks over the summer and everywhere I go reminds me of an episode,I'v only for ten more shifts to do as a Paramedic so may have even more time soon,it means a lot that you said that Thankyou
Neil there are no signs to say it's for sale or anything and it is spotless inside and out,all the "art" has been cleared from inside and it is clean and empty,and they have scrubbed the daubings from the car park and repainted the walls and tidied inside,surely not something you'd do if you were going to demolish it and build houses,in a peverse way I was disappointed because I'd always planned getting those lamps and meeting you at Sids Cafe but it's more important the pub remains,take care,my email is prsenlac@gmail.com and I am on Twitter @senlacblade I don't do facebook,will be in touch x

Looks like it is in even better condition than when I was there a month ago. I didn't look inside though. The disabled parking bays looked like they had been repainted relatively recently, surely something you wouldn't do if the place was going to be demolished!

I drove past The Monkey Inn 2 weeks ago and it's still standing and thankfully still looking clean as the previous images show. No sign of any work being carried out to indicate what it's future might be.

It was also on the Tour de Yorkshire route last week, but sadly as far as I could see it wasn't focused on by the cameras.

Six fire engines are currently at a fire at a derelict pub on Bagger Wood Road in Hood Green, Barnsley.

The fire crews from Barnsley, Tankersley, Cudworth, Central and Stocksbridge stations were first called at 8:50am this morning.

The Monkey Pub was well alight on the arrival of the crews. Firefighters wearing breathing apparatus are using hose reels to tackle the blaze.

There are no reports of any injuries.

An investigation into the cause of the fire will take place once it is out.
Source: https://www.thestar.co.uk/news/major-blaze-underway-at-former-south-yorkshire-pub-1-9274088

Another local newspaper said it was caused by water from the recent heavy rain leaking in to an electrical box which started the fire. It features some images from behind the building which still has remains of the graffiti from the former owner.

https://www.barnsleychronicle.com/article/derelict-pub-catches-fire

I'm not sure if it's been mentioned before on these forums, but the former owner who made a complete mess of the place with his "art" was the son of the owners who were running the place when Summer Wine initially started filming there. He inherited the place after they passed away. I remember visiting the pub over the years and remember him as a bit of an oddball. He angered a lot of regulars when he permanently barred a group of long term regulars because they got a little rowdy one evening. They didn't do anything terrible, just were talking too loud. He lost a lot of custom after that.

Just drove by The Monkey. No noticable external damage. I really hope someone takes over the place and makes good use of the building.

Rain leaking into a fuse box of the vacant pub being listed as the cause according to the link.

I know little of the situation, mostly got the impression the current owner could not give two hoots about the pub. Kinda figured he would have had the power to the building shut off by the power company long ago. Sad to see a place fall into disrepair.

IF it is the end and it has to be demolished then its not really a fitting end to what in LOTSW terms is an icon of the show with so many episodes featuring it . Pete and I corresponded for a good while about it . When it was threatened with demolition Pete was going to try and grab the iconic lamps on the entrance as a souvenir and we were going to meet up for a beer and reminisce about our beloved show with myself gratefully accepting one of the lamps to put as pride of place in my house , sadly that will now not be possible .

I was searching for the pub in "Space Ace". I found the Old Carriage Inn, outside Marsden is closed. I've been to White Horse, Butchers Arms & Elephant and Castle. I am wondering where the pub used in "The Man Who Nearly Knew Pavarotti" the one with Norman wisdom is.

The building is still there when I drove by it a few weeks ago. However it's still closed down and no sign of any work being done to it. There is mesh metal fencing surrounding the building and car park. Over the past few years there's been rumours of it being converted in to residential housing and another rumour of a person buying it to convert in to a restaurant for his daughter to run. If I see or hear any work finally being done I'll report back here.

It was a great place to visit for a drink when it was open for business. There were many photos on the wall of the various cast members posing with the owners and regulars of the pub. If you look closely in some episodes when they're sat down inside you can see the outline on the wall where photos were taken down before filming because it would look odd seeing the cast members on the wall hehe. Then sadly the couple that owned the pub died and left the place to their son who ran the place in to the ground with his eccentric ideas. We soon stopped visiting because it was just not the same atmosphere, many regulars did the same. Soon after he closed the pub down and turned it in to a mad house filled with "art" pieces. He then graffitied the lovely white walls of the building which have been posted earlier in this forum thread. I'm so glad whoever bought the place once he finally sold it painted the walls white again.

Here are some videos of the owners son filmed in the pub. The first two being at the bar which was seen in several episodes. The third video features the fireplace that the cast members sat close to in some episodes. The fourth video is from the car park. Not sure if he was going for comedy or art but it certainly makes me question his sanity. After watching these you can soon see why he forced the pubs regular patrons away. Be warned: There might be some bad language used at times.

Back