The Swan Man of Ilkley

And here is Cooper and Walsh,at the bottom of Hirst Lane at it's junction with Intake Lane,from the same episode,about to crash into them
Low%20sun%20007_zpszp4va3rk.jpg
Low%20sun%20040_zpsolzxvlpo.jpg

And this is the top of Hirst Lane at New Mill,where things were often sent down and tested,it's from the episode Of Passion and Pizza
Low%20sun%20004_zpsou47ix6m.jpg
Low%20sun%20043_zpsxc4f8rxm.jpg

This is the last of my photos,I doubt I'll be getting up the hills again for a while,the days are short and cold,although I do have plans to visit Holmfirth again,and to visit the old Haychatter pub,and put photos of The Monkeys demise on that thread,this is a scene from Who's That Mouse in the Poetry Group,and was taken,unsurprisingly,on Scar Hole Lane at New Mill,anyone travelling any distance to Holmfirth,I would advise them if they've a car to take a 3.3 mile drive to this lane,a 30 minute walk in any direction and they will recognise everything,bye for now,Pete x
Low%20sun%20009_zpsdtuuex6y.jpg
Low%20sun%20032_zpsakw7ga4o.jpg

And here is Cooper and Walsh,at the bottom of Hirst Lane at it's junction with Intake Lane,from the same episode,about to crash into them
Low%20sun%20007_zpszp4va3rk.jpg
Low%20sun%20040_zpsolzxvlpo.jpg

Pete ,

Thank you for the photographs very much appreciated, I replied on this particular one because Cooper and Walsh going downhill on Skates reminds me of my time as a youngster . I am sure many will remember pre Roller Boots [which Cooper and Walsh have on] Roller skates consisted of the skate with an ankle strap and laced toe piece . If you removed those pieces and adjusted the skate length with the bolt that joined both halves together you could then put a hard backed book on it , sit on the book and go down hills like the one Cooper and Walsh are going down here.

Brakes were your shoes or backside both of which had consequences , scraped shoes and a ripped backside in your jeans , which of course drew further consequences when you got home ! We tended to do it on paths so every gap in the pavement was felt through every bone, this is tarmac and would have been great , build up speed down the hill ,quick lean to the left to make the turn . No helmet, no gloves , no elbow pads , no skin on your backside ! :eek:

I remember those metal roller skates that strap over your shoes. My sister and I had a some. The metal wheels were not as nice as the polyurethane ones that came later. Young, care free days, simpler times. :biggrin:

Cheers,
Rick

Are these the ones,I remember having a pair of these in the 60's and 70's,that photo is the top of Hirst lane,at its junction with the top of Scar Hole lane,and in the show they would usually send things down one or the other,these skates would be pretty lethal going down there,thankyou for the kind comments everyone,I see these hills all the time,but I put them up here so that people can see the real Summer Wine countryside,and how it looks now,and how it has changed
skates_zpsjbsxyutc.jpg

Are these the ones,I remember having a pair of these in the 60's and 70's,that photo is the top of Hirst lane,at its junction with the top of Scar Hole lane,and in the show they would usually send things down one or the other,these skates would be pretty lethal going down there,thankyou for the kind comments everyone,I see these hills all the time,but I put them up here so that people can see the real Summer Wine countryside,and how it looks now,and how it has changed
skates_zpsjbsxyutc.jpg

My very first pair had no strap/laces on the front ,just two lugs that you tightened on to your shoe with an allen key. I soon had them changed when my mother noticed the lugs were helping to separate the soles of my shoes! ;D

skates_zpsjbsxyutc.jpg

The very same Pete:)

My very first pair had no strap/laces on the front ,just two lugs that you tightened on to your shoe with an allen key. I soon had them changed when my mother noticed the lugs were helping to separate the soles of my shoes! ;D

Mine, too, but with metal wheels. The only places near home to skate were our hard-packed dirt driveway or the paved, but narrow, rural road. The road had a short drop down to the rough dirt shoulders. Needless to say, my skates didn't get enough use to damage my shoes.

Inside the Cafe'

I called in Sids Café today,had a pint of Yorkshire Tea for £1.95.I know a lot of us on here have been in,but for those that havn't here's how the inside of it looks today,it's looking great.

8th%20dec%20027_zpsyo1dngyi.jpg
8th%20dec%20034_zpshpxaociy.jpg
8th%20dec%20035_zpspejnkaon.jpg
8th%20dec%20032_zpsmslrznls.jpg
8th%20dec%20033_zpsndtrz1t2.jpg

Great photos. Must be the most photographed café in the UK. I can't help taking a snap of it every time I'm in the town, we're so lucky to still have it as a café after all these years. It's heart warming to watch the early episodes and see it still here 40 years later.

Thank's for the lovely photo's Pete. Hope you had a great day

Here is Clegg and Truly on the bridge at Sands Recreation Ground off Huddersfield Road at Holmfirth,its from the episode The Mischievous Tinkle in Howards Eyes,the third photo is the view they would see from the bridge,looking down at the River Holme,and the football pitch to the left
8th%20dec%20008_zpshiac2ebs.jpg
8th%20dec%20015_zpspkqimigx.jpg
8th%20dec%20017_zpsgtzbjopc.jpg

Thank's for the lovely photo's Pete. Hope you had a great day
Thanks Gill I did,this one is just for you,I thought of you when I saw the scene,and I took the now photo with you in mind x
It's Daisy Lane in Holmfirth and the episode is The Phantom of the Graveyard
8th%20dec%20005_zpsdcadfsd7.jpg
8th%20dec%20023_zpse3bzqnjq.jpg

Dear Pete thank you so much for you lovely photo`s it was very kind of you. As you might have guessed Pete I am a Marina fan! Take care XX

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's Clegg and Truly on the path just beyond the bridge at Sands,it's from the episode Will the Genuine Racer Please Stand Up
8th%20dec%20009_zpssok5gzcj.jpg
8th%20dec%20014_zpslklk6af9.jpg

Great photos. Must be the most photographed café in the UK. I can't help taking a snap of it every time I'm in the town, we're so lucky to still have it as a café after all these years. It's heart warming to watch the early episodes and see it still here 40 years later.
I agree ferret,while ever the café is there and remains like it is the heartbeat of the show will go on,I can't imagine how I'd feel if it closed or became a shop or just wasn't there,it's one of those places that we all take for granted but would miss so much if it wasn't there,it was empty nearly all day,I do hope it continues for a long time,if any of us visit Holmfirth please call in and help it continue x

Dear Pete thank you so much for you lovely photo`s it was very kind of you. As you might have guessed Pete I am a Marina fan! Take care XX
Untill recently Gill,Jean Fergusson used to live not too far from me,in Tickhill,Doncaster,but I think I read that when her husband passed away she moved down south,that's when she sold Marina's bike with all the SummerWine cast signatures on it,she's great isn't she :)

Jean seem's such a lovely lady and a talented actress she's great as Marina. Take care XX

Last edited by a moderator:
Back