UK's Best Seafood?

codfanglers

Dedicated Member
Here in the States, various coastal regions boast about having the best seafood. New Orleans and regions of the Gulf of Mexico are often associated with the "best seafood". Places in New England, like Maine, promote their lobster, etc. but I always thought Maryland and regions of the Chesapeake Bay were the best. This is before I moved to Maryland, so it isn't a home town bias. I have never been southern coastal areas like New Orleans so I wouldn't know. I imagine it would be hard to beat Del-Mar-Va seafood. (Del-Mar-Va stands for Deleware- Maryland-Virginia).

The UK is a sea faring area. There are a lot of different coastal regions. Which have the best seafood? Which claim to have the best seafood?

On reflection Chuck I would have to add most of Cornwall to your pick. :) Particularly the Padstow area and around the Lizard peninsula.

I do recall place I most seemed to enjoy seafood in my many visits to USA (mostly all along the Atlantic coast) was Charleston, South Carolina.

I think here in UK there is an element of variation of catch over what is essentially a small country. I do recall finding some great fish in Plymouth which is, of course, very close to Cornwall.

Great amount of shellfish caught off the west coast of Scotland but one big catch, Langoustine apparently goes primarily to the continent.

Quite close, just down the coast in Anstruther is the fish and chip shop which regularly wins accolade of best in Scotland.

Your chips are just deep fried potato wedges correct? :16: One of those embarrassing questions.:rolleyes:

No. The nearest translation is 'French Fries', though we generally like them a wee bit thicker than the standard French Fries as sold here by the likes of McDonald's. See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chip

"Chips, the Australian, Irish and UK term for large cuts of potato that are deep fried or baked, similar to what is known as french fries in Canada and the US."

images_zps3d6fd2b9.jpg

Chips are square cut. Potato wedges are generally triangular in section, smaller potato and the potato peel is left on.

untitled_zps269f86a0.png

Back