Upstart Crow, David Mitchell

cyclops

Georgia PBS in the USA is showing Upstart Crow with David Mitchell & a great cast of oddballs.
They're also airing The IT Crowd, which leaves me cold.

Don't know about Upstart Crow but the IT Crowd was quite good in its day. It does improve after the first season, the episode where they
get "the internet" and break it is hilarious, but I must admit it is a bit of an acquired geeky taste and with the rapid increase in computer technology got dated very quickly!:40:

Don't know about Upstart Crow but the IT Crowd was quite good in its day. It does improve after the first season, the episode where they
get "the internet" and break it is hilarious, but I must admit it is a bit of an acquired geeky taste and with the rapid increase in computer technology got dated very quickly!:40:

Though the tech has leaped forward plus the abundance of mobile devices, to rectify problems the same advice still applies, "Have you tried rebooting it"

the same advice still applies, "Have you tried rebooting it"

Terry in the show the catch phrase is "Have you tried turning it off and on again!" but agree the same advice is still the go to resolution . The internet episode from IT Crowd is great Brian and I love the twist that the joke backfires . Written by Graham Linehan who of course , with Arthur Matthews wrote the great Father Ted . I found it really funny as spent my working career in IT and so identified with all the situations they portray .

Upstart Crow is immensely funny surprised me when I learned it was written by Ben Elton who you associate with what were the "Alternative Comedians" in the early 80's . I particularly love when Will travels back and forward to Stratford and they skit about the issues with transport .

I like really both Upstart Crow and IT Crowd. You are right that IT Crowd does seem a bit dated currently and it's style is not for everyone.

Upstart Crow has a very Black Adder type feel to it that I like. Thanks to Ben Elton. Great casting too, Kate played by Gemma Whalen is so different from Yara Greyjoy of Game of Thrones. Mark Heap of Green Wing does a good nemesis for Will trying to thwart him at every turn. Marlowe is a good combination of Lord Flashheart from Black Adder and Ace Rimmer of Red Dwarf.

Looking forward to a series three of Upstart. Some of The Young Ones crew will be there - Adrian Edmondson and Nigel Planer.
https://www.comedy.co.uk/tv/news/2934/upstart_crow_series_3_guests/

Greets and Welcome to the forum cyclops. Funny avatar pic you have there of Compo getting a face full of dishwater from Nora. :)

Cheers,
Rick

Announced in the paper and on BBC that Series 3 of Upstart Crow is to commence on 29th August at 20.30 on BBC 2 for those able to see it . As an aside currently listening to a one Hour show on Radio about the kings of Comedy Laurel and Hardy its available on download from the BBC Iplayer Radio and is hosted by Al Murray if anyone would like to listen.

Back