Victoria Park for Amos.

Pete.

Dedicated Member
Hi everyone,
Sorry to read that you're back in hospital Amos,I read in a post you put in reply to ferrets photos that you loved Victoria Park in Holmfirth,and that you didn't think you would ever be able to go back,
With time,patience and support there is no reason at all that you can't visit again,make it your goal,
In the meantime,until you are well enough to go,here are some photos that may cheer you up in hospital,I went to Holmfirth today and called in Victoria Park just to take some photos for you,
The last photo is of the smaller park where the web cam is,its pretty much facing the camera,I also took a few then and now photos around Holmfirth,some of the places have changed quite a bit and others not at all,I'll post them later,
Pete.
Victoria%20Park%20%20025_zpsdtjwfdkq.jpg
Victoria%20Park%20%20013_zpsomgmux6a.jpg
Victoria%20Park%20%20014_zpssgeuufw7.jpg
Victoria%20Park%20%20015_zpstkniupza.jpg
Victoria%20Park%20%20016_zpsmx4iptnn.jpg
Victoria%20Park%20%20017_zpslg7l2rfa.jpg
Victoria%20Park%20%20018_zpsqfr9s3pf.jpg
Victoria%20Park%20%20023_zps3vrqzwnc.jpg
Victoria%20Park%20%20024_zpsa7i8vpgc.jpg
S.Wine%20A%20014_zpss0ud8cup.jpg
Victoria%20Park%20%20012_zpskj1czlcy.jpg
Victoria%20Park%20%20020_zpstrrpqun5.jpg

Oh my. You are so kind. I love the place. I just enjoy sitting on the bench watching the world go by. Picturing foggy compo and clegg when they used to get up to capers in the park. Thank you so much

Hopefully it will bring Amos some cheer. One cant help wondering , a magnificent park like that! Where were all the people??

Even though it was about 12 noon on a gorgeous sunny day,as you can see the park was virtually deserted,there were plenty of people in the town though,here's a couple of photos I stopped off to take on my way,they were taken just above Holme Styes Res at Hade Edge just at the back of Barry and Glendas house.
Victoria%20Park%20%20001_zps1aakfwei.jpg
Victoria%20Park%20%20006_zps0dnc8yez.jpg
Victoria%20Park%20%20002_zpscgfwbkb2.jpg
Victoria%20Park%20%20007_zpsr4uyw4bi.jpg

Victoria Park for Amos

Nice photos Pete I would never wish to spoil such beautiful spots but I would be sorely tempted to identify certain spots [such as that bit of Wall Cleggy is perched on] by leaving some sort of laminated card[easy to produce] pointing out that very fact . As we have discussed before I think we all find it incredulous that there is little or no recognition of the series ,which basically put these places on the map, from the local authorities .

Agree with every word of that captain !
Its only because of our love of the place that we even know about these places,and how special they are to us,
to everyone else I see when I go walking to these places,like all the dog walkers,there is nothing at all special or different in them,I treat them with reverence and always stop and sit for a moment where they sat,
Marsden as we have said,is the worst culprit though,at least Holmfirth has lots of Summer Wine touristy places and things for sale,
A few weeks ago I went to Marsden,and I took a photo of the Citizens Advice Bureau office that Compo took Nora to as they were virtually engaged being neighbours so long,it is now a hairdressers and all the ladies inside were looking at me taking a photo,right next to it was a postbox and they looked at me like I was crackers when they saw me taking several photos of that too,from different angles,but to me it wasn't just a post box,it was really special,it was the one Foggy,Compo,Clegg and Howard all hid behind spying on the traffic warden in Glamour of the uniform,
I know that makes me sad but I don't care,I have such a strong affection for the show,it was part of every sunday night with my family from age 13 to age 50,watching it with my parents,and later,with my own children,
I'm with you though,I think there ought to be something,especially on iconic scene locations that everyone remembers.
Pete x

Your special contribution to our wonderful site !!

Hello "the 28 steps",i hope you are well mate !!!! [and i hope your daughter is still enjoying life in my home town !!!]
well,i have only been a member of this special "cyber family" for a couple of weeks,but i feel that i have to put "finger to keyboard",to give you the plaudits you so richly deserve.
Each and every member will log onto our site,hoping that you have posted more of your fantastic pictures of "summerwineland".
We are a worldwide family,and your images give everyone a chance to "feel part of the show".
The time and effort you put into every batch of photos shows what a lovely man you are [stop blushing !!!!].
You are selfless,and do this for the viewing pleasure of us all,and expect nothing in return.
I had to write this mate,on behalf of us all,because you should be so proud of yourself !!!!
Best wishes,as always mate !!![and i hope "the blades" have a great season !!!!!]
keith.
X!

I think we all find it incredulous that there is little or no recognition of the series

Not completely true. We have been there and gone on walks provided by the
tourist information center (TIC) where you can find maps and all. We got
several maps of SW walks that were lots of fun and show-oriented. Also
got on one or two "organized" SW walks around Holmfirth led by locals.
If you somehow missed the TIC, go on back!

Now I will grant you that after a while, as H'firth almost drowned under
the weight of SW tourists, much of the emphasis was moved out to Marsden
and Hepworth and all so that the emphasis in H'firth naturally dropped.

Still though, if you watch the still web cam at Beatties. you will see the tour
bus quite often and gaggles of SW tourists.

... here's a couple of photos I stopped off to take on my way,they were taken just above Holme Styes Res at Hade Edge just at the back of Barry and Glendas house.

The OS map shows the ruins of a village called Hades near there, at Grid Reference SE 136 049. Have you ever visited the site? On a purely silly level, it doesn't sound like a place that one would voluntarily visit!

Marianna

Hello "the 28 steps",i hope you are well mate !!!! [and i hope your daughter is still enjoying life in my home town !!!]
well,i have only been a member of this special "cyber family" for a couple of weeks,but i feel that i have to put "finger to keyboard",to give you the plaudits you so richly deserve.
Each and every member will log onto our site,hoping that you have posted more of your fantastic pictures of "summerwineland".
We are a worldwide family,and your images give everyone a chance to "feel part of the show".
The time and effort you put into every batch of photos shows what a lovely man you are [stop blushing !!!!].
You are selfless,and do this for the viewing pleasure of us all,and expect nothing in return.
I had to write this mate,on behalf of us all,because you should be so proud of yourself !!!!
Best wishes,as always mate !!![and i hope "the blades" have a great season !!!!!]
keith.
X!
Keith,
Thank you so much,what a lovely post,its made my night reading that,thankyou to everyone for your comments and likes too,
I'v always done a lot of hill walking,and like to combine that with my love of Summerwine and visit the locations,I mainly post them so that people who live too far away,or unable to get to the remote locations,can see what they're like now,to people who havn't been,they only know it from the series and some of them were filmed years ago and have changed,others havn't changed at all,sometimes I can find the exact spot from a particular marking on a dry stone wall for example,and it can be exactly the same,
I'm back to work in a few days but still may have time for one more walk,I plan on going up Tinkers,thats the big hill you can see from Howards yard,if you went up there you would recognise virtually everywhere,they filmed lots up there over many years,I have photos to take up there from the Foggy,Truly and Hobbo eras,including where Howard gets leg lock while trying some meditating,and where Barry eats some grass,its quite a trek though to some of them,
I love Liverpool and get over as often as I can,so does my daughter,thats why she settled there after graduating from Uni,I love to sit and have a drink at the waterside cafes on Albert Docks,and a meal in the Blue Bar,I have a Super Lambanana in the hallway and everyone who sees it asks what it is,I go round Liverpool photographing the different ones,love the place,and the people are really friendly.
Good luck with the Toffees too,I'll be keeping a keen eye on them as my second team as I always do,and again thank you so much for that post,
Pete.

The OS map shows the ruins of a village called Hades near there, at Grid Reference SE 136 049. Have you ever visited the site? On a purely silly level, it doesn't sound like a place that one would voluntarily visit!

Marianna
Marianna I never even knew about that !
I love to visit old sites like Roman ruins and stone circles,at nearby Ladybower there is something called Tin Town and it was a small town,just a street really,that the reservoir builders lived in as it was so remote,and you can walk amongst the ruins and there are big poster signs showing you where you were in the town and what it looked like then,some villages were submerged under the reservoirs and at Derwent which joins on to Ladybower,you can see the church spire when there is a drought,
I had a quick look up on this ruined Hades village which is next to Holme Styes Reservoir in the photo,I will go look for it next time I go for a walk there,and post a couple of photos on this post,thankyou again,
Pete.

Well the butchers is well worth a visit over there-just over the road from the resevoir, some of the best pork pies and scotch eggs I've ever tasted mmmmmmm ;]

OK, I am really lost here.

By Hades, do you mean near Hade Edge??

And by Butchers, do you mean the Butchers Arms pub???

Sorry, age getting the best of me.

Hi,
By butchers we mean Brindon Addy's ,a fabulous butchers shop at Hade Edge opposite the sailing club,
Hade is the name of a deserted village that's now in ruins near Holme Styes reservoir at Hade Edge,that will be how Hade Edge got its name of course,Hade the ruined village is lost to nature,but I'm going to look for it when next out there,
Pete.

OK, I am really lost here. By Hades, do you mean near Hade Edge?? And by Butchers, do you mean the Butchers Arms pub??? Sorry, age getting the best of me.

Hades is close to Hade Edge, which makes me wonder if the family who first lived there might have been named Hade, and if the spelling might have originally been Hade's, the possessive form of Hade.

There's a locally well-known butcher shop on Penistone Road in Hade Edge, J. Brindon Addy. I believe they also have a stall at the Holmfirth Market, but don't quote me on that.

Marianna

I love ruins and often visit deserted medieval villages and abandonded places,never heard of this Hades village before but it makes the Hades Edge name a little clearer,don't know how Hades got its name though,isn't that what the ancient Greeks called the underworld,will definitely make a visit sometime Marianna and post a couple of photos for you all to look at,in the meantime I found this photo,it isn't mine,of some of the ruins of deserted Hades,
I'm off to Bridlington now for the weekend,if I see some painted eggs I'll bring them back to send on to anyone that wants one :) and then just a few days before I'm back at work and don't even get chance to come on here,but time if weathers ok for one last walk up Tinkers and New Mill to sit on the exact bit of wall where Howard got leg lock (How long does it last,I'v got an appointment Thursday !!) :)
Hades_zpsjxuubgqr.jpg

Sorry to report could find no trace of painted eggs anywhere in Bridlington,the Dewhursts have gone bust !
However,called at Scarborough and happy to report I was arrested by P.C.Cooper on the sea front,
Had a Summer Wine chat,he looks well,and is a lovely man,so friendly.
KK_zpsyi3lzkyg.jpg

Back