Wainwrights to the right of me Wainwrights to the left of me I'm Wainwrightified

W

Who Is That Then

I'm now watching the LOSW series over again from the beginning. One question, is librarian Mr. Wainwright some sort of relation to the later arriving "Auntie Wainwright"? I know Howard is supposed to be related to Auntie, but both these characters came later in the series. This librarian head "Mr. Wainwright" was in the first shows and I wonder if he was explained as a relative of Auntie? Or most likely the coincidences were just never mentioned. Perhaps Clarke just liked the name Wainwright so he used it again when he created Howard & Auntie and didn't bother to explain about the librarian :D. That's my guess. Anyone know?

There has never been any mention or connection to Auntie and the librarian - Roy Clarke has often used surnames for more than one character without them been related - or at least without mentioning it. Hemingway for instance, as in 'Biff Hemingway' and Smiler's name is Clem Hemingway but we do not jnow if they are related. Also there was a Bickerdyke in 'Green Fingers' and also in 'According To The Prophet Bickerdyke'

Auntie does refer to Howard about him been family and vice/versa, however, Howard's surname is Sibshaw. :)

Another Bickerdyke was in The Phantom Of The Graveyard (he was the man in the coffin at the funeral) they'd gone to the wrong one! :eek:

I'm now watching the LOSW series over again from the beginning. One question, is librarian Mr. Wainwright some sort of relation to the later arriving "Auntie Wainwright"? I know Howard is supposed to be related to Auntie, but both these characters came later in the series. This librarian head "Mr. Wainwright" was in the first shows and I wonder if he was explained as a relative of Auntie? Or most likely the coincidences were just never mentioned. Perhaps Clarke just liked the name Wainwright so he used it again when he created Howard & Auntie and didn't bother to explain about the librarian :D. That's my guess. Anyone know?

In case anyone is interested, a wainwright is a wagon maker.

Back