Waiting for God (1990–1994)

BruceC

Dedicated Member
While looking up Comedies in UK, this one caught my eye.

Never seen it here in AU - but seems to get fantastic reviews - is it worth while?

We should post a list of old brit comedies for our overseas friends, just in case the is something they have never seen and would enjoy.
A few I can suggest are:
Oh No, It's Selwyn Froggitt!
The Gaffer
Bless me Father
Clarence
Hallelujah
In Loving Memory
Man about the House
Oh Dr Beeching
Bless this House
I Didn't Know You Cared
Dinnerladies
My Hero
Rising Damp

Hi De Hi
Rab C Nesbitt
Up Pompei [For Francis Howerd Esq alone even though its a little risque ]
Still Game
Ever Decreasing Circles
It ain't half hot Mum [its well written but its probably questionable from a PC basis ]
Any of Spike Milligan's Q series for the sheer silliness and stupidity and for generating ideas that Monty Python admit to stealing
Steptoe and Son
All Gas and Gaiters[ for the train game alone]

I loved a little programme called The Gnomes of Dulwich which ran for one series starred Terry Scott and Hugh LLoyd but all the episodes I think were wiped by the Beeb and there might be a short clip on You tube if you are lucky so sadly I cannot add to the list.

Last edited:
Man about the House
Bless this House
Up Pompei
It ain't half hot Mum
Steptoe and Son

All great shows!!

Some I love.. .
My fav is Only fools and Horses, then Porridge, and Open all Hours.. Some Mothers do have em (hanging off exhaust of the Morris while over the cliff edge!! Classic!) ... Yes Minister (how close to the truth is that show!!)

Also Fawlty Towers, Goodnight Sweetheart, Robins nest, Allo Allo, Handcocks, Are you being served, As time Goes by, Black Adder, DADS ARMY!!! Mrs Bucket, One foot in the Grave, Manor Born,

There was one about a couple that became home farmers with posh neighbours that always looked down on em...

Could never get into Waiting For God, I should like it, I've tried to like it, I like One Foot in the Grave, but somehow I can't get into Waiting For God.

Could never get into Waiting For God, I should like it, I've tried to like it, I like One Foot in the Grave, but somehow I can't get into Waiting For God.
I find it annoying when you look forward to something like a show - and its a let down LOL
You really want to love it, expectation is massive, and then *thud*.... :)

With a shortage of things to watch I decided to go back to my childhood and the Looney Tune cartoons. I also searched You Tube found and interview with Mel Blanc . Its a bit grainy but it is well worth a watch for any fans of the great man .

With a shortage of things to watch I decided to go back to my childhood and the Looney Tune cartoons. I also searched You Tube found and interview with Mel Blanc . Its a bit grainy but it is well worth a watch for any fans of the great man .

its a great insite into his talent!!

Watched " SHAUN THE SHEEP (THE MOVIE)at my daughters the other day after an Easter lunch. Found my self laughing out loud at some of the action. (Well I liked Wallace and Grommit !:42::rolling: )

I saw that a few a few people had listed some of their favourite British sit coms so here’s a few of mine
The army game ( Alfie Bass makes me cry with laughter in this)
Rising damp
On the buses ( I’m sure you guessed that one)
Open all hours
Still game
Extras
For the love of Ada
Casanova ‘73 ( unfortunately only one series made)

The army game ( Alfie Bass makes me cry with laughter in this)

I recall seeing this as child and didn't really appreciate the humour but can picture Bill Fraser as an atypical Sergeant Major [aka Windsor Davies in It Ain't half Hot Mum] . On looking it up I noticed that Frank Williams ,the Reverend Timothy Farthing in Dad's Army also appeared and a long forgotten "Cheeky Chappie" Harry Fowler.

Back