Was "A Musical Passing for a Miserable Muscroft" written for Wesley originally?

Sarkus

Dedicated Member
So this is the 2002 Christmas special that was obviously not meant to be the first episode that aired from that series. That's pretty clear because of the involvement of Entwhistle, who isn't actually introduced until the second episode of the following series. Likely another case of the BBC pulling something out of the pile to use, presumably in this case because of the Norman Wisdom guest appearance.

As I was watching this one recently it occurred to me that it very easily could have been an episode Clarke wrote originally for Wesley. It makes sense that he would have been the one excited about acquiring a fairground organ van and he also would have been the one who would have been taking the ladies to the fair later. So I'm thinking that it was re-written after Gordon Wharmby's death (prior to the filming of this episode and following series) with Billy Ingleton and Entwhistle inserted.

Anyone think this is likely the case? Or is it a stretch theory on my part?

I suppose only Roy Clarke or Alan JW Bell actually know the answer, but I don't have to stretch at all to see the real possibility of that being the case. The fact that Entwistle's part is so small in this episode supports that theory. Normally a new character would be given larger or at least more significant parts in their first few episodes to get them established in the viewers minds. But having Entwistle be the one to acquire the fairground organ van wouldn't be believable. So they'd have to bring someone else in for that part. I'll have to watch the episode again tonight to see if I notice any other clues. But I think you may well be on to something.

Last edited:
I don't think it's a stretch at all , anything mechanical and Wesley was your man . I imagine Roy Clarke, having learned that Norman Wisdom was cast as the Fairground Organ Van owner , would have rewritten the part to incorporate elements of slapstick to fit with Norman's characteristic acting style , though I still think the funeral scene would have remained unedited

I suppose only Roy Clarke or Alan JW Bell actually know the answer, but I don't have to stretch at all to see the real possibility of that being the case. The fact that Entwistle's part is so small in this episode supports that theory. Normally a new character would be given larger or at least more significant parts in their first few episodes to get them established in the viewers minds. But having Entwistle be the one to acquire the fairground organ van wouldn't be believable. So they'd have to bring someone else in for that part. I'll have to watch the episode again tonight to see if I notice any other clues. But I think you may well be on to something.

Wow that must be important - written twice!

You may have something there. I can definitely see Wesley taking on that role. Certainly suits his character.

It would work for me too, Entwistle improved greatly in my view as the series went on and formed a great duo with Alvin in my opinion.

Back