What about Seymour?

Maggie Jones

Dedicated Member
I was recently watching an episode of LOTSW on Gold - I've forgotten the title. Anyway the ladies were having a coffee morning and musing, as usual, about men. Ivy made a comment that she knew something or other because she had grown up with a younger brother. To which Ros replied that she didn't have the benefit of a younger brother. Edie was sat there with her and didn't contradict her. I just thought 'what about Seymour'? Amy thoughts?

A side comment — Ivy knew about collecting and trading military cap badges because of her younger brother, not because she had hung out with soldiers during the war, which would have been scandalous.

I was recently watching an episode of LOTSW on Gold - I've forgotten the title. Anyway the ladies were having a coffee morning and musing, as usual, about men. Ivy made a comment that she knew something or other because she had grown up with a younger brother. To which Ros replied that she didn't have the benefit of a younger brother. Edie was sat there with her and didn't contradict her. I just thought 'what about Seymour'? Amy thoughts?

only the benefit of an older brother "the brains of the family" to quote ...

Sideways kinda, but when Alvin first showed up I could swear he was new to the area yet later he was discussing people and places from "the old days" as someone that knew them first hand.

In the Uncle of The Bride Compo and Clegg met Seymour as if for the first time but in later episodes the three of them talk about being in school together.

In the Uncle of The Bride Compo and Clegg met Seymour as if for the first time but in later episodes the three of them talk about being in school together.

They were in school together only until Seymour went to grammar school, though. From then on, he moved in completely different circles from his former schoolmates, and seemed eager to forget the early experiences, such as having been forced to drink ink. He spoke of that as though it had been a universal experience among junior in infant school students, regardless of the school they attended.

I guess you could explain it that way Marianna, but as Adrian says, its very clear in "Uncle" that they have no idea who he is. I suspect that the original idea Roy Clarke had was for him to be someone they hadn't met before, but by the time they made it to Series 9 that had changed. Plus, First of the Summer Wine has him as someone they know in their late teens, not just as a young children.

It's the same for Wesley. Compo asks Sid who 'the bloke up the hill is'. It's the first time they meet him but in later episodes Wesley talks about what Compo was like at school.

Last edited:
Back