Why?

G

gill

I see that the BBC are bringing back certain comedy show 's Are You Being Served, Poridge etc, why did the power's that be at the Beeb not give the Cooper & Walsh spin off a go. It seems to me that the BBC are trying their hardest to forget that LOTSW ever existed. I would have loved to have seen a spin off with Cooper & Walsh or a Howard Pearl & Marina spin off. I think they would of worked well.

That is a very good question Gill, I wonder if they bring it back or a spin off, they may feel they should of not taken it off in the first place, they blamed the ratings at the time which was around 5.5 million, now they get excited if anything from their current batch of drivel gets 3 to 4 million viewers. Though to be fair none of the TV companies wanted to take on Cooper & Walsh even though they said they enjoyed the scripts presented to them,they were saying money was tight to make anything new, so it looks like we are doomed to the current content on all channels for some time to come, which is the main factor for me not having a TV licence, so far it has saved me almost £300, which has bought me a lot of DVD's,stuff that I like to watch

Without trying to jinx things, can I say, based on other recent remakes, that I strongly suspect any re-doing of those classic shows will probably be K-rap.
I would love to be proved wrong but instincts sadly tell me I won't be.:(

Gill,

They are one off specials to celebrate it being 60 years since Hancock's Half Hour was broadcast , which is considered to be the first of the great BBC Comedy Series shown hence the single remakes of Porridge, Are You Being Served, Keeping up Appearances [chosen to represent Roy Clarke not sure if he had any say] and Up Pompei . They are also showing Til Death do us Part, Steptoe and Son and Hancock's Half Hour not seen any hints that they will turn into series although there is a clamour to have Clement & Le Frenais write another series possible a reinvented Likely Lads.

Apparently BOOMERS could be quietly shelved. The second series not being as well received as the first!:confused:

Apparently BOOMERS could be quietly shelved. The second series not being as well received as the first!:confused:

Shame the first series was good and the second started well but did tail off a little towards the end . The BEEB have been advertising new comedy series in the same breaks as the remakes but you simply don't hold much hope for them matching what has gone before I would love to be proved wrong .

If they are doing remakes, it takes a lot of work and even a little serendipity to make a remake work. Otherwise, you can tell that even the actors are embarrassed. As a note, Porridge has never made it across the pond.

Well we will soon find out how bad or good they are , Are You Being Served and Porridge air on BBC1 tonight at 9pm and 9:30 pm respectively .

OK..I have now seen the new Porridge and Are You Being Served. My opinion only, but I was half right in my earlier post.

AYBS.....a crude, badly acted (mind you the original wasn't exactly Shakespearean) rehash of the original with rubbish portrayals of the original characters. Whoever made this foul abomination should be shot! (For the Americans present, that is an expression not an invitation!:08:)

PORRIDGE...A different kettle of fish. Not exactly brilliant but quite pleasant I thought. A nice nod to the original show but it didn't try to BE the original show. A re-imagining of the original brought
up to date. While I wasn't enthused by it, I can see that it has potential to become a reasonable show in it's own right.

So Half K-rap and half so-so. Better than I expected on one and worse than I feared with the other.

As for Pointless....the name says it all for me!

OK... I have now sought cover, let the comments flow!:D:18:

I've seen half of Are you Being and Brian is being kind, I'll tie myself to a chair and force my eyes to stay open with duct tape later to watch the rest, I see it like voting, if you don't vote you don't get to moan about the outcome and as I want to have a real good Bemoan about this I'll have to darn well watch it.

Pearl if you have seen half of AYBS ..........DO NOT watch the remainder. Believe it or not the first half is the BEST...lets just say the toilet humour (real toilet!! be warned!)and Mrs. Slocombe's "cat" references get more obnoxious in the 2nd half.

Oh dear, AYBS has a few letters missing and those present are in the incorrect order ABYSMAL is not to strong a description , it was simply awful far worse than I expected . Why they made it I don't know , later on BBC1 they showed the old Comedy Connections for AYBS and Porridge and they showed the craft behind both shows and although I had seen several times before even they were far superior and a much better watch than this drivel . Porridge was slightly better but Clement and LeFrenais should have refused to do it , the lesson was there with Going Straight which was not well received and poor in comparison with Porridge .

I hope that they now don't afford C&L the chance to write a series because I think they have had their time, not that there are any writers of quality about at present to take the crown they earned from Porridge and Auf Wiedersehen .

On reflection thankfully they left our beloved show alone , not sure I can face Steptoe and Son , Til Death do Us Part and Keeping up Appearances fills me with trepidation :(:mad:

Back