Worst Episode

maltrab

Administrator
Staff member
Let me have your nominations for what you think are the worst/least enjoyable episodes and I will run a poll to find out which one we disliked the most

Quick Quick Slow
Was that Nora Batty singing?
Cash Flow Problems
Situations vacant

That little period around series 13 was the worst in the programmes history. Few redeeming features in any of the above 4 episodes for me.

Go with the flow is another one that irritates me more than entertains me to be honest.

For me, I have difficulty choosing three out of the last seventeen episodes, i.e. the last two series and last Christmas Special.

"From Here to Paternity"
"Some Vans Can Make you Deaf"
"Waggoner's Roll"
"The Art of the Shorts Story"

They would be my four all time least favourite episodes

I agree with those shouts Robin (apart from The Art of the Shorts story). I can take or leave any of the episodes where Mrs.Avery features to be honest. I know with Compo dying that the series had to take a short term shift in a different direction, but three of those 4 are pretty mediocre watching and ones that I never revisit, along with The Missing Bus of Mrs.Avery, which is also average.

Yes they certainly were a low point , Compo leaving us ,was heart breaking and you can understand how hard it would have been for Mr Clarke to carry on with the outstanding quality, I have said this before, but any episode that features Tom Owen in a substantial part, to me are bad, he just doesn't cut it for me, very lucky to get the part and he never took the chance he was given and actually learn to act ,he is a very poor actor in my opinion ,probably a lovely fella, but an actor he ain't, on the other hand his Dad was an underrated fantastic performer..

Yes they certainly were a low point , Compo leaving us ,was heart breaking and you can understand how hard it would have been for Mr Clarke to carry on with the outstanding quality, I have said this before, but any episode that features Tom Owen in a substantial part, to me are bad, he just doesn't cut it for me, very lucky to get the part and he never took the chance he was given and actually learn to act ,he is a very poor actor in my opinion ,probably a lovely fella, but an actor he ain't, on the other hand his Dad was an underrated fantastic performer..

Tough to disagree with any of that mate. Tom as a bit part character, when he was finally relegated to being so, a little bit here, a little bit there, with Smiler, were the best of times for him in my view. The character didn't ever develop, just like he didn't ever develop as an actor. He was just a scene filler really and when used as such was OK, no more than that. I can't watch the episodes surrounding Compo's death and those just after anymore. They are a diversion to put things to bed and clear things up and the quicker Mrs. Avery left the better in my view aswell.

I will have to agree with the latter part of this. The episodes with Mrs. Avery and Babs are NOT among my favorites. The pairing of Tom and Smiler while they were working for Auntie Wainwright was a good idea, indeed.

I can't watch a couple of the earlier Clegg/Compo/Blamire eposodes.
These include "Spring Fever", "Some Enchanted Evening" and "Northern Flying Circus".
In the latter episode, i find that Compo is just too over the top, in fact even though series 1 & 2 are prized posessions, i personally feel that Compo was still finding his way with the character, which he seemed to settle into much better, when Brian Wilde joined the cast.
Also, i find myself getting bored with one or two of the "Seymore era" episodes, especially "Dancing Feet".
I don't know what it was about that time, the way some of the episodes were filmed, looked a bit odd, or was that the period that the producers/directors were coming and going, which would explain a few things?

G ; )

>:( I watched my least favourite episode the other night. However i have to confess to a "senior moment" having forgotten the title.It concerned Truly's re-union with Audrey Nash a k a The Widow Dilhooley.Even Barry and Wesley failed to 'rescue' it. :(

>:( I watched my least favourite episode the other night. However i have to confess to a "senior moment" having forgotten the title.It concerned Truly's re-union with Audrey Nash a k a The Widow Dilhooley.Even Barry and Wesley failed to 'rescue' it. :(

That episode is called "From Audrey Nash to the Widow Dilhooley".

I will have to agree with the latter part of this. The episodes with Mrs. Avery and Babs are NOT among my favorites. The pairing of Tom and Smiler while they were working for Auntie Wainwright was a good idea, indeed.

I would tend to agree that anything with Mrs Avery and Babs were, for me, a low point. Some of the 13th and 14th series were not of the best, in my opinion.

I note the comments about Tom - I think as a part opposite Smiler - it worked.

Out of 295 episodes there is very likely to be a dew duff ones.

I think my least favourite episodes were the last two series.They just didn't feel right to me.

Hitman for Primrose Dairy

Hobbo is a real clutz here, and gets way too much air time.
Lousy addition to the club.

But worst of all .... Kathy Staff has died, but
we are told that Nora Batty has gone to Australia.

So Compo gets three episodes in which to die.

Nora gets nil.

rip off!

But worst of all .... Kathy Staff has died, but
we are told that Nora Batty has gone to Australia.

So Compo gets three episodes in which to die.

Nora gets nil.

rip off!

I agree, although i always thought in retrospect, all of the cast members that passed away should have had some form of farewell included in the show.
We have seen episodes where the trio would attend the funerals of fictional people such as "slasher" and the episode where Compo loses his ferret.

So i recon it was an own goal, not to have a decent send off for Sid, Wally and certainly Foggy and Nora, just think what mayhem the trio could have caused at those funerals.
When Kathy died, i think that it could have been a good move to have had an episode where her sister has got the sad news and is in the cafe, telling Ivy and maybe pearl, then the trio walk in and Ivy has to tell them.

We can all be armchair scriptwriters i suppose, so how that news would have affected Compo, well, we will never know but i'm sure it would have been an interesting one.

G ; )

I think there used to be some sort of unspoken rule that the passing of a character, unless one of the principal ones, was never mentioned in later versions of the shows. This happened in other programmes as well. Thus Sid and Wally were never commented on at the time of their going - althouggh later on in one of the Semour era Christmas shows there was some belated nod to it with Norah looking at a photo of Wally and Ivy one of Sid in their respective homes (either Crums or a Present for Norah)

He was written out because he had succumbed to the wiles of a lady and had moved away! At the time he had not died as he was still filming It Ain't 'alf Hot - but his passing never really mentioned.

Back