Would it Work

maltrab

Administrator
Staff member
I noticed that a Canadian TV show titled "Corner Gas" which finished in 2009 has been revisited in animation form, do you think it would work for LOSW

Possibly as it'd remove the insurance quandries but you'd lose a lot in characterisation - Claye seems to have it pretty nailed tho :)

I suspect it would be a mess to put together and not cheap to do. If you wanted to use the classic cast you’d need legal agreements to use likenesses for all the now deceased actors and their voices. Then you would have to find voice actors to play the roles. Of course Roy Clarke would have to be involved since he appears to essentially (or so it is implied in Bells book) own Summerwine. On top of that, animation isn’t cheap, so I’m not sure in the end it would be any real savings.

It could work, and would allow story lines that let characters that never met to do so with all that implies.

However not cheap and the rights to characterisation would be a legal minefield and I do recall reading that Roy Clarke is, understandably, not keen on others writing what is his ouevre.

I believe it has been mentioned here that Nick Park would retire Wallace & Gromit due to the passing of Peter Sallis. I had the thought the other morning that a Last of the Summer Wine revisited in the style of Wallace & Gromit would be great.

A clay-mation type animation appeals to me more than a traditional two dimensional Simpsons cartoon style. Nick is highly skilled in capturing the nuanced facial expressions via clay, more so than is possible with a cartoon style rendering. Imagine the stare from his evil penguin character could match the powerful eyeballs of Foggy or Howard trying to hypnotize someone. The cast from First of the Summer Wine could do the voice overs.

They could save money by hiring an impressionist like Alistair McGowan or reluctantly John Culshaw to effect all the voices . In the North East we had our very own Man of a Thousand Voices Benny Yorke who sadly passed away a few years back . I saw him so many times and when he was on you dare not move for fear he would heckle you in the guise of some famous star.

I just read up on him and I was surprised he had done some small TV spots for Tommy Cooper and a series called Who do you Do with Freddie Starr . It appears he was not retained on the latter because Freddie Starr saw him as too tough a competition because of his versatility and skill at impersonating all sorts of people.

I believe it has been mentioned here that Nick Park would retire Wallace & Gromit due to the passing of Peter Sallis. I had the thought the other morning that a Last of the Summer Wine revisited in the style of Wallace & Gromit would be great.

A clay-mation type animation appeals to me more than a traditional two dimensional Simpsons cartoon style. Nick is highly skilled in capturing the nuanced facial expressions via clay, more so than is possible with a cartoon style rendering. Imagine the stare from his evil penguin character could match the powerful eyeballs of Foggy or Howard trying to hypnotize someone. The cast from First of the Summer Wine could do the voice overs.
Now don't quote me, but I thought I heard somewhere, don't know where, but heard somewhere that they are bringing Wallace & Gromit back.

I noticed that a Canadian TV show titled "Corner Gas" which finished in 2009 has been revisited in animation form, do you think it would work for LOSW
It may or may not work. Those rolling hills have always been an intrinsic part of the show's premise and it would take a high-powered animation company to give the hills their due.

But then on the other hand, it would be interesting if they were to take that script of the summer stock play (that was never filmed) that introduced Howard and Marina and did it a la Wallace & Gromit. It was the one that Brian Wilde did not wish to be in, so they had him "upstairs with a broken leg" in the script.

Back