HOPELESS

Peripheral

Dedicated Member
Five weeks ago I was taken into hospital and,as per usual, they started jiggling around with my medications and, 5 weeks on they still do not have them sorted. I always thought that NHS meant National Health Service. It seems that I am wrong. My recent experiences indicate to me that it stands for No Hope of Survival. .... :eek2:

Nice to see your return Peri hoping you feel a little bit better and Mrs Peri is keeping you on your toes and hopefully not standing on the old Bromley by Bows and the Sage and Onions .

I have heard this situation many times and not just recently, your on Meds for some years and all is well, something puts you in hospital and they mess about with the meds, and they send you home with more problems than you went in with.
It's is great to have you back and I hope all is better very soon.

It's possible that some medications act differently when one passes a certain number (age). So some doctors, not realizing this continue to prescribe certain medications at a strength that is really for someone (how can I say this?) younger. Also if you're on a lot of medications, perhaps some of them are no longer necessary. Doctors should really start with the medication that is most necessary and then based on that medication review the other medications. Sometimes a medication gives a side effect and then the doctor prescribes another medication to tamp down the side effect. If this is so, is there any other way to deal with the side effect?

So what the doctor should do is to focus on the one (or two) medication that is most necessary to treat the most serious condition, keeping in mind that you have passed a certain number. Then try to establish the absolute necessity of all the rest of the medications. And then the pharmacist. is the professional (not the doctor) who can tell you the total effect of all of your medications. It is possible that one is canceling the other out or are all of your medications combined giving you an unintended effect?

Then there is the white coat effect. The stress of being in the hospital might change the effectiveness of the medication or cause other problems that magically disappear when you're back home. Trying to change medications can be a trying time. Hopefully, the time of trying different medications is short.

Back