A new quiz

No sorry not that one.
Another clue,Seymour snatched the pipe from him and said "No smoking in the laboratory".

May I throw in a side note here about the word "smoking"? A few years ago when I wasn´t really used to English yet (before my LOTSW time it was), I was in Trinidad with lots of fellow students and or professor had hired us a little coach to get around, and there was a note in it that said "NO SMOKING". Can you imagine what I silently wondered about for days until it dawned on me? "Why ever don´t they allow men in suits in here??" LOL!!! ::)
I should add, in case it´s not common in English, in German we call a dinner jacket a Smoking, don´t ask me why.

:D **** I still can't believe how quickly you have picked up English , your grammar is better than mine and I was born here!

I should add, in case it´s not common in English, in German we call a dinner jacket a Smoking, don´t ask me why.

If I understand this correctly, what we in UK call a "Dinner Jacket", Germany calls a "Smoking Jacket" and US calls a "Tuxedo".

Of course, in days past UK had a "Smoking Jacket" but how best to describe its use without reference to Noel Coward? A jacket, usually quilted, sometimes quite brightly coloured for semi-formal wear at home in the late evening usually in all male company?

****'s english is very good,in fact a while back she invented a new brand name for toothpaste, it was called Cleggydent
Terry

:D **** I still can't believe how quickly you have picked up English , your grammar is better than mine and I was born here!

;D Apropos of not much ****, in the old music hall days there was a stage act by a man called NOSMO KING . He took his stage name from a sign in the theatre he was in at the time! Think he was some sort of comedian. ;D

LOOOOL *rofl*, I can´t stop laughing!
And thank you, Robin, for the compliment :)!
Terry, do you have to tease me with this Cleggydent thing??
You know, I was telling Terry about a car accident I had when I had just popped into town to get some new clothes for my first England visit to see Peter, and on my way back somebody ran into the rear of my car. I have got a pretty old car and I thought, that was it, finished, now it´s all over with my poor old car, but by a miracle it wasn´t, I only had a small, but deep dent whereas the other one had his car completely shattered and couldn´t drive anymore. I still have that dent below the rear light and call it my Cleggy dent because I got it when I was out to buy something for the event, and it turned out to be a very good Cleggy dent because I was paid insurance money for it which allowed me a second visit for a longer time soon after the first one :). Since then "Cleggy dent" has become the name of a toothpaste for Terry. LOL!
Nosmo King is great, I don´t think I would have got that either!

Smoking is also used in other European languages as well; French, and Czech, and probably others as well.

As I recall, towards the end of the 19th Century, it became fashionable among the young men of the upper classes in New York to wear smoking jackets instead of tail-coats at social functions (it was their method of "rebelling against the Establishment"). It was particularly popular in the district of New York called Tuxedo, which is where the name comes from in the US, and why Europeans call it a "Smoking".

But of course, I could be lying.

In which episode do we hear the words "Leave it to the horse,the horse knows where it's going"?

A gentle one to start us off for the day.
In which episode do we first meet Mr. E. Duckett?

Back