Another Power Failure!

Marianna

Dedicated Member
Kept me offline for about 18 hours. We had the worst wind and rain in my experience yesterday evening, and I thought I'd seen it all. A mature tree uprooted and landed on the front porch roof of the house across the street, causing only superficial damage. I didn't see it happen because I was looking out my back window, monitoring the huge birch tree that shades the south side of the house. It lost only a few dead branches - mother nature's pruning. The village got off lucky this time.

Kept me offline for about 18 hours. We had the worst wind and rain in my experience yesterday evening, and I thought I'd seen it all. A mature tree uprooted and landed on the front porch roof of the house across the street, causing only superficial damage. I didn't see it happen because I was looking out my back window, monitoring the huge birch tree that shades the south side of the house. It lost only a few dead branches - mother nature's pruning. The village got off lucky this time.
Glad to hear you are OK!!!!!

Sounds like a Flower Power Cut :p

Sounds like a Flower Power Cut :p
Much worse than dealing with Ivy.

Soon after the power was restored, this area had a tornado warning. That's vanishingly rare in this area. It actually tracked north of here, but I haven't yet heard any damage reports from that area.

Much worse than dealing with Ivy.

Soon after the power was restored, this area had a tornado warning. That's vanishingly rare in this area. It actually tracked north of here, but I haven't yet heard any damage reports from that area.
Hopefully you were okay and unscathed, extreme weather fortunately isn't something we really have to contend with too much in the UK. Just 2/3 of the days overcast or raining :D

Glad you're okay, Marianna. We had some storms, but they ended up not be as bad as forecast. I know a couple of folks in Texas that haven't had power going on two weeks, and you know how stinking hot Texas is..

Glad you're okay, Marianna. We had some storms, but they ended up not be as bad as forecast. I know a couple of folks in Texas that haven't had power going on two weeks, and you know how stinking hot Texas is..
I hope there are cooling centers nearby. Public libraries in this area are fulfilling that function. That provides safety from the heat while they're open, but doesn't solve the problem when they're closed.

I hope there are cooling centers nearby. Public libraries in this area are fulfilling that function. That provides safety from the heat while they're open, but doesn't solve the problem when they're closed.
Wow, I never heard of cooling centers. As you say, cooling centers only work when they are open. In addition, they may not serve the purpose in a power outage if they don't have a back-up generator. I think the southern states, where heat stress is a frequent occurrence, are better equipped to deal with such issues.

I know the police in Arizona carry flats of bottled water in their cruisers and freely dispense it, for roadside breakdown situations.

The important thing is to keep well hydrated, especially if you take blood pressure meds. When you think you have had enough to drink, drink more. If you can add electrolytes into the equation, even better! The trouble with heat stress is by the time you feel the symptoms, it is already too late to do anything about it.

Superficial damage? So only a few 100 dollars to find then :fp:

Sadly, a lady was walking her dog in a park. She happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. Apparently, she was under a tree when a main branch fell and she was unable to escape. The branch was so large that nobody was able to lift it and they had to wait for the chainsaws to be brought. When they were able to get to her, it was too late.

Sadly, a lady was walking her dog in a park. She happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. Apparently, she was under a tree when a main branch fell and she was unable to escape. The branch was so large that nobody was able to lift it and they had to wait for the chainsaws to be brought. When they were able to get to her, it was too late.
That is awful news :oops:

Back