BBC DVD Sequence Probs

cciaffone

Dedicated Member
Last time we watched SW in order from beginning to
end we used my old home-grown DVDs cobbled together
from trades, torrent downloads, etc. And we had NO
problems watching the episodes in the correct order.

But now that we have bought many of the commercial
DVD sets I am having real problems, especially where the
beeb chooses to hide some of the Specials. Had an awful
time last night finding Extra! Extra!. Wound up using one
of our own home-grown discs. Finally this morning, while
looking at the beeb discs, I found Extra! Extra! at the
end of Disc 1 of the NEXT SERIES discs. Why they do that???

Not really sure why but, it may have something to do with the airing of episodes overseas? why the episodes are put into later series. Got this off wikipedia (if thats a help);

"When recordings were "repackaged" for overseas sale, UK series 9 (12 episodes) was split into "Season 9" and "Season 10" (each of 6 episodes), with all subsequent "seasons" being renumbered accordingly. As a result (for example) "Series 27" in the UK may be referred to as "Season 28" in the USA."

Far as I can tell, Extra Extra was aired in December of 1996 at
the end of Series 17, but was packaged after many 1997
episodes at the end of the first DVD of Series 18.

Or I could be lying??

Cannot say I agree with either analysis. "Extra! Extra!" was aired in December 1996 but NOT at the end of Series 17. "A Leg Up For Christmas" (December 1995) was aired at the end of Series 17. That Christmas Special was on Disc #4 of the Series 16 & 17 DVD set (stupidly, wrongly, crassly labelled Series 17 & 18) along with "The Man who Nearly Knew Pavarotti" which was, of course, aired BEFORE Series 16. Generally, Specials have been put on the last-numbered Disc of a set. So that DVD set already had two Specials on it.

From its airing date, "Extra! Extra!" can sit equally with the Series 16 & 17 set or the subsequent Series 18 and 19. Putting it with the latter gave that set two Specials, "Extra! Extra!" and "There Goes The Groom". The only oddball seems that they did not put the Specilas on the last numbered disc.

Yeah, I am OK with that.

BUT .....

When I am trying to watch the eps in order, this
is a royal pain!!!

May stay with my original discs and not purchase
any more from the beeb.

Back