Bicycles

Getting Barry Higher in the World (Howard and Marina with the first of Seymour's kites) 8)

The line "the superiority of British bicycles" was used twice in the series, by both Blamire and Seymour. It was probably a reflection of the Writers own feelings. I love bicycles myself, and they were part of my attraction to the show. Bicycles facilitated animation in the outdoor shoots, without quickly over-reaching a single camera's perspective. No doubt, my second favorite Pearl episode was 'of Passion and Pizza', and the best line was when PC Walsh asked Howard if Pearl was a different one because he hadn't seen Howard with her before. Take the bicycles out of this scene and it would lose a lot.

The line "the superiority of British bicycles" was used twice in the series, by both Blamire and Seymour. It was probably a reflection of the Writers own feelings. I love bicycles myself, and they were part of my attraction to the show. Bicycles facilitated animation in the outdoor shoots, without quickly over-reaching a single camera's perspective. No doubt, my second favorite Pearl episode was 'of Passion and Pizza', and the best line was when PC Walsh asked Howard if Pearl was a different one because he hadn't seen Howard with her before. Take the bicycles out of this scene and it would lose a lot.
I've never thought about it like that before but you're absolutely right! LOSTW was thinking about it's carbon footprint along time before it became fashionable!!!!

Hi Seymour,that line “I haven’t seen you with this one before” by pc Walsh addressing Howard when he’s with Pearl is one of the lines that no matter how many times I hear it makes me laugh,I would love to hear if other people have similar lines,scenes or moments that do the same,I think I’ll start a thread,all the best.

Hi Chuffer, my other favorite line occurred in 'Howard Gets Double Booked' when Pearl says to Howard "You spend all this time in the toilet and come out with whiplash?!?!".

Honorable mention goes to Compo who asks at the end of 'Whose Made a Big Splash in Wales' "how do they get these fish just the right size for this batter?"

There was an episode where Sid and Ivy were out on their bicycles. Ivy mentions that the bathroom needs papering and Sid replies with "Oh Hell!" Wasn't it the 40 Foot Ferret?

You are right, there are countless great lines in Summerwine. But lets look at it another way. There was one simple line "She's a treasure" used in two different episodes, filmed about 30 years apart. The only regular cast members that were in both episodes were Clegg, Nora and Ivy. Sadly a lot of cast members were lost between these two episodes. Can anybody remember what those two episodes were?

You are right, there are countless great lines in Summerwine. But lets look at it another way. There was one simple line "She's a treasure" used in two different episodes, filmed about 30 years apart. The only regular cast members that were in both episodes were Clegg, Nora and Ivy. Sadly a lot of cast members were lost between these two episodes. Can anybody remember what those two episodes were?
The Great Boarding House Bathroom Caper and All of a Florrie?

Perfect. What struck me most about it was that the writer carried the simple expression in his mind for so long, that when Jeanne Mockford was cast back into the series, he thought of it and used it again. The difference being Mrs. Cheever delivered the line to the guests at the boarding house, and Clegg delivered it right back to Florrie Hargrieves in front of Auntie Wainwrights! The treasures were Mabel and Marina, of course!

That episode where PC Walsh says 'I haven't seen you with this one before' is the only time I can recall seeing Pearl on a bike.

Pearl on a bicycle makes the episode one of my all time favorites. She was a bit shaky, maybe a bit out of practice. If my memory serves me, Miss Davenport was on a bike once with Marina, when PCs Cooper and Walsh skated into them . Ivy was sighted on a bike twice, in 'Forty Foot Ferret' and 'Extra Extra'.

I don't know which woman logged the most miles on a bike in summerwine, Marina, or her stunt double Christine Monk Slocomb (RIP). Chrissy did the hard stuff, took the falls into the ditches, pedaled Howard around on her handlebars and with a respectable turn of speed!, etc. etc.

The only guest actress I remember on a bike was Maggie Ollerenshaw, on a tandem, with Smiler, in 'Love Mobile'. Lucky Guy!,

There was an extra who was riding down a path, through the moors I presume. When she saw Compo, Clegg and Foggy observing, she angrily shouted out "Seen enough have ya?".

I think that's it for cyclists without crossbars.

Back