Brompton

Barrychuckle

Administrator
Staff member
Today I've got my first ever Brompton Bike, for those not familiar it's a really clever folding bike which folds into a fairly small sized cube package and can be carried into pubs onto trains etc.

This really got me thinking, would this have solved all Howard & Marinas problems, they could easily hide it behind walls & hedges and Howard could even conceal it into a bag when leaving the house......

1696270958326.png

I could see both Howard and Marina on it coming down a hill and the bike decides to fold. Looks like a nice bike, probably get killed for it here. I must admit, when I saw Brompton, I thought it was a town over there..

How would the bus conductress have reacted to that bicycle if Clegg had tried to board with it, rather than with his conventional one in "Forked Lightening"? Even folded, it's still a vehicle, and she said, "No vehicles on the vehicle!"

How would the bus conductress have reacted to that bicycle if Clegg had tried to board with it, rather than with his conventional one in "Forked Lightening"? Even folded, it's still a vehicle, and she said, "No vehicles on the vehicle!"
Clegg forgot about that when he tried to board the bus in a convertible Mercedes in the episode The Empire Foggy Nearly Built

After seeing this Bike folded up, when it is unfolded into something one would ride, it is really for young Turks who have excellent ability to ride something so small. Sorry to pour cold water on the idea that Howard could sneak out and ride merrily away to meet with Marina. If he were to try to ride this contraption, he'd likely end up in the back of an ambulance, trying to explain to Pearl how he was injured.

I asked in an earlier post if anyone had seen Ted Lasso. In the mini series, there was a shrink who rode to work on a folding bike. When she folded it up, it snapped into the closed position with the precision of a swiss watch and took my breath away. I went to the Brompton website to verify that it was a Brompton. It goes back to a phrase that both Blamire and Seymour made to the effect of: "God, the Queen and the superiority of British bicycles".

I have ridden folding bikes (clown bikes, if you will), I even had one (not a Brompton) that I bought for a temporary retirement job I had in Upstate NY. But, I agree with Adanor, they are not ergonomic, they hurt to ride, and you feel like you are going to do an Eli style face plant into every little rut out in front of you.

If you think about it and picture it, Walter's dog, from 'The New Mobile Trio' would probably have faired better if he was on a folding bike!

Having ridden mine a few times, I can confirm it's really easy to ride you can spec different handlebar heights to suit all riding positions. I saw a few in York when I was there recently and most of the riders were in their 60's and 70's. I certainly found mine more comfortable to ride than my standard bike.

I see your Brompton and my Trumpton and I raise you a Crimpton [on Sea]

peg 1.jpg

peg 2.jpg

Peggy and Gladys plus Sue Pollard at a Hi De Hi convention recreating the scenes from episode Spaghetti Galore where Peggy ferried Gladys back and forth to keep her dates with " The Smiling Viper" , Clive and the yellowcoats for three bowls of Spaghetti Garibaldi at Tony's Trattoria .

Back