Charity bicycle ride for Doddie Weir & MND awareness.

RickAns

Dedicated Member

Thought this was a really nice thing they did. I was unaware of rugby legend Mr. Doddie Weir before this video and really pleased to see the outpouring of support for him from fellow players and fans. A 555 mile ride in 48 hours with some 200 riders from Cardiff, Wales to Edinburgh, Scotland to bring the football to the match game, impressive! It is great to see them raising money to fight Motor Neurone Disease, some 700,00 pounds. Very encouraging to see supporters along the roadside cheering the riders on as well. Good to see a GCN presenter, Hank, participating for the cause.

Been watching the GCN (Global Cycling Network) channel on youtube for a few months now. Really enjoying their content and seeing the nice cycling gear which is way out of my price range. They are headquartered in Bath, UK and is nice to see the areas that they ride.

I started cycling again a few years back during covid. The time before then when I rode was as a teenager way back in the late 70's early 80's before being able to get my first car. Rode everywhere back then, that is what us younguns did without a car. So it had been 30 plus years for me between being on a bicycle and it is nice to be riding again.

RIP Doddie

Since Doddie was from Scotland I am not sure I understand the ceremony behind taking the ball from Wales to Scotland. Is the visiting team supposed to bring the ball? <ignorant American dunno rugby rules>

I thought of the ebike route @Barrychuckle but was not sure if I'd enjoy cycling again after being away for so long. So I went for the lower entry cost 'me powered' style of bicycle instead :29: . I liked it so much I got a stand for the rear axle to exercise indoors in poor weather. A few months later stepped up to the style were the bicycle rides on 3 rollers. A bit more challenging but love it.

I bought a cheap conventional secondhand bike off ebay but I also have an e-bike, I really do recommend them. I thought at first they'd just make me lazier but I'm finding that it just enables me to travel further afield. I've had mine de restricted as in the UK they are limited to 15mph but on the continent they can go up to 30mph! Mind you it's not as quick as Howard trying to escape Pearl on his!!!!

Back