Clothiers Arms Netherthong Pub - 40 years later

Sarkus

Dedicated Member
I was watching "A Quiet Drink" from Series 2 last night and was thinking about how isolated the pub looked to be. So I looked it up on the map here on Summerwine.net and realized how much appears to have changed. That dirt parking lot, nothing visible in background to the right of the main entrance, it all appears to be totally different.

It's nice to see the place is still around but weird to think its all surrounded by houses and other buildings now. Makes me interested to follow up on other locations as I progress through this viewing of LOTSW from start to finish.

I looked up Clothiers Arms a couple of years ago (be sure you get the right one).

I does indeed seem different round there - but I also think some of the camera angles made the pub in the programme look more 'isolated' than perhaps it really was.

I certainly found it hard to recognise at first - it took me a while to accept it was the same place!

On a DIFFERENT note, isn't there another Clothiers Arms in Jubilee?

The one in "A Quiet Drink" is in Netherthong as far as I can tell. It's still in business and has a Facebook page where the pictures of the entry, etc., seem to match.

Someone ought to check, but I think the Clothiers Arms in A Quiet Drink is Station Road, Stocksmoor.
and
The Clothiers Arms in Jubilee (last few minutes) is Netherthong.

The one Terry has on the map for "A Quiet Drink" is the one on Station Road off Stocksmoor. That one also matches the upper floor windows of the pub in "A Quiet Drink." There is another episode with a different Clothiers Arms in "Deep in the Heart of Yorkshire." I haven't checked that one out though.

I didn't know there was a Clothiers Arms in Deep in the Heart of Yorkshire too, think I'll watch that one now.

Just watched it - you don't get a good view of the outside of the pub, but I assume it is one in Netherlong.

There is a portable sign on the ground outside - I think it says Clothiers at the top.

Just watched "The Flag and its Snags" - At the start, the trio are up a hill. In the background in several shots is what looks like the same pub that featured in "A Quiet Drink".
It's way down below the hill, a mile away or so. Can anyone confirm that ?

Back