Colour Blind

Barrychuckle

Administrator
Staff member
I was amazed to discover that you can actually still pay for a black and white TV licence, it costs £57 annually v £169.50 for a colour licence. Surely no one has B&W tv's anymore do they, are you able to even buy them???

May be an option though for those who don't want to stretch to the full cost of a TV licence - the snooker may be challenge to watch though.............

Well I'll go to our ouse! Last I heard B&W licences were the same price as colour to discourage those with colour tvs dodging by with a B&W licence, I know that because that's what we did for a while with a rented telly, the fella we rented it from put us down as renting a B&W.

Well I'll go to our ouse! Last I heard B&W licences were the same price as colour to discourage those with colour tvs dodging by with a B&W licence, I know that because that's what we did for a while with a rented telly, the fella we rented it from put us down as renting a B&W.
I think as there are so few B&W licences these days, anyone would put themselves on the radar of the TV Licencing enforcement if they applied for one for the first time!!!!!

Yet if you are blind or with serious sight issue you only get a 50% reduction on a colour TV Licence for something you can only listen to, not everything is audio described, so you might as well go for B&W and not be able to watch that either
That's a very good idea, however as most b&w TV's are going to be decades old I doubt the audio description function is present on them

I think as there are so few B&W licences these days, anyone would put themselves on the radar of the TV Licencing enforcement if they applied for one for the first time!!!!!
Yes that was years ago but definitely wouldn't get away with it now.

I find that the old TV shows in black and white with monotone sound are more comforting to watch. The action was slower, the scenes were longer, and on the whole, less jarring. Also the stories were more intricate.

I remember we had a black and white portable when I was a kid, just like Onslow you had to bang on the top of it when the picture started rolling!
Yes we had one of those as well. We never had a video recorder when I was a kid so if I wanted to watch another channel I had to go into my parents room to watch it on a small B&W set while my parents watched the larger Colour TV in the lounge. It had one of those extendable aerials and yes if the picture started rolling you banged it on the top to get the picture back.

A lot of programmes on TPTV are black and white , like the camera apps surely there is a way you can de-colour all shows and view in black and white which would be a great option , certainly a better option in my opinion than when they coloured classic Laurel and Hardy films which I intensely dislike.

Back