Favourite music

stewpot01

Dedicated Member
Be nice to know what members like to listen to.

For me anything by Katie Melua, Latin/Jazz, ELO and most classical (especially Mozart).

Be nice to know what members like to listen to.

For me anything by Katie Melua, Latin/Jazz, ELO and most classical (especially Mozart).

The Beatles.The Beautiful South are my main choices but like i put on the other music thread John Lennons solo stuff as for classical was listening to the Planets suite by Gustav Holst last night an absulute masterpiece.can not get into too much modern music that gets played on Radio 1 but there are some great American bands around.check these out you might or might not have heard of any of these.

Train
Maroon 5
Matchbox Twenty.

I do have every album by Bon Jovi as well.My mum is a huge R.E.M. fan been to see
them all over the place

My kids got me into Marilyn Manson, but I like most music exept R&B and don't get me started on Celine Dion >:(

I enjoy easy listening music. Nothing that will cause Migranes. LOL I also like foreign singers like the French singer Charles Aznavour, Celine Dion, Spanish singers. Rock n Roll the one I know has become extinct sadly. Clif Richard, Lulu ec.

Interesting thread, gives an insight into what other things the various members like, besides our mutual love of Summer Wine.
I just turned 58 in April and probably for the last fifteen years, i've been mostly into ambient Drum`n Bass, although i also like Underworld, Faithless, Chemical Brothers and a whole host of Dance music artists.
What i would like to know, do some people's music tastes change as they get older?
Theoretically, as a lifelong biker, i should be into rock and blues and even though i've played in blues bands and went through a phase of listening to blues in the early 90's, my early influences with Genesis seem to have triggered an obsession with synthesisers, which is probably what attracted me to the dance music scene in the first place.

G ; )

I bet there is a wide range of music listened to by forum members, I liked most music in the 60's & 70's,a little less in the 80's & 90's and in the last ten years I have heard very little mainstream music that I could enjoy,I have enjoyed classical music since the 80's

These days it seems more about selling the singer than the song and long gone are the days you bought a 7 inch single when the B side was often a good tune as well.
I find most female singers these days just scream in an attempt to hit a high note, or is it just me getting old

Interesting thread, gives an insight into what other things the various members like, besides our mutual love of Summer Wine.
I just turned 58 in April and probably for the last fifteen years, i've been mostly into ambient Drum`n Bass, although i also like Underworld, Faithless, Chemical Brothers and a whole host of Dance music artists.
What i would like to know, do some people's music tastes change as they get older?
Theoretically, as a lifelong biker, i should be into rock and blues and even though i've played in blues bands and went through a phase of listening to blues in the early 90's, my early influences with Genesis seem to have triggered an obsession with synthesisers, which is probably what attracted me to the dance music scene in the first place.

G ; )

My tastes have not really changed but I do tend to have a broad range, besides the ones in my OP.
My mum was a classical trained pianist so that is where the influence on that side of things comes from.
My early years I remember the Beatles more than anyone and still love them.
When I was a teen it was all the 70's music, most of which I though was trash - other than Marc Bolan who was a tremendous influence on a generation.

As I got older I began to listen to just about anything, I even did some work as a DJ for a short while which can greatly influence what you like/dislike - I hated the 'Birdie Song' I got requested to play it so many times at Weddings/Parties I ended up throwing the 45 over the car park of a pub and smashed it!!

Then there was the New Romantic/Electronic Movement, again some things I liked, others....

On Rock or anything of that definition I have always liked ELO (as mentioned) and the Dutch band Focus.

My taste in Female singers has never really wavered. I rarely listened to any with any great interest except Carole King until Kate Bush came along, her work is very deep and at times meaningful and she has influenced a host of female artists. (Katie Melua does have a little bit of Kate in her voice at times) also Judie Tzuke a highly underrated artist who could turn out anything from the mellow and beautiful 'Come Hell Or Waters High' to the more rock type 'Black Furs'.

Miles, John Coltrane, Art Blakey, early Louis ...

but also

Little Richard, Larry Williams, Bill Haley ...

Joy Division are my favourite ever band. I also like Sex Pistols, Nirvana, The Smiths, The Fall, The Cure, The Misfits, The Damned, Black Flag etc..
I like Shostakovich and Glinka also. And Dusty Springfield, Glen Campbell and some Country music.

I've made no bones before about liking Bob Dylan but I also like The Water Boys some Van Morrison Bryan Ferry (early stuff)I like some old Country , Patsy Kline and all .Hank Williams snr I like. Most classical music and some early jazz(although I dont get much chance to listen unless I'm home alone, my wife is not fond)I will listen avidly to most old comedy records if I get chance(Spike Jones etc) Like you Rob I feel its what you grow up with that starts your likes and dislikes music wise!!

I've made no bones before about liking Bob Dylan but I also like The Water Boys some Van Morrison Bryan Ferry (early stuff)I like some old Country , Patsy Kline and all .Hank Williams snr I like. Most classical music and some early jazz(although I dont get much chance to listen unless I'm home alone, my wife is not fond)I will listen avidly to most old comedy records if I get chance(Spike Jones etc) Like you Rob I feel its what you grow up with that starts your likes and dislikes music wise!!

The Waterboys and Hank Williams, I can go with that mate.

Which Waterboys album do you like best Dick? I think A Pagan Place just shades it for me.

Pagan Place was on the background one night at my daughters, didn't hear it properly but will have to get my own copy! Greatest hits started me off and the Fishermans Blues album, but the main trouble is if I get any new ones the kids like they borrow them to copy to their I Pods and I struggle to get them back at times.I like to listen a couple of times so I can really get into songs. ;)

Pagan Place was on the background one night at my daughters, didn't hear it properly but will have to get my own copy! Greatest hits started me off and the Fishermans Blues album, but the main trouble is if I get any new ones the kids like they borrow them to copy to their I Pods and I struggle to get them back at times.I like to listen a couple of times so I can really get into songs. ;)

A Pagan Place and This is the Sea are very good albums, I like to listen to the through now and again. The first album isn't at all bad either.

G ; )

The taste in music changes not with age but with lifestyle. We see quite a few ols rockers on the telly.

Joy Division are my favourite ever band. I also like Sex Pistols, Nirvana, The Smiths, The Fall, The Cure, The Misfits, The Damned, Black Flag etc..
I like Shostakovich and Glinka also. And Dusty Springfield, Glen Campbell and some Country music.

Some good bands there Chuffer. Would loved to have seen Joy Division live, also the Cure - speaking of which, have you ever heard Katie Melua's version of Just Like Heaven? even Robert Smith was knocked out by it.

I am really into blues music either blues rock or delta blues. My favorite band is the rolling stones, especially the Mick Taylor years 69-74. I am 27 and was just brought up on classic rock, prog and psychedelic. Enjoy listening to Yes, Jethro Tull and ELP. The Doors, Jefferson airplane, Janis Joplin and many others. I am into Led Zepplin, Black Sabbath and many other hard rock bands. I consider myself to be a hippy and have been known to wear outrageous clothes i.e Brian Jones style clobber. The only thing i miss, is the long hair which i shaved for charity last year and is now only just beginning to creeping below the ears.
I had quite a large vinyl LP collection which i sold before xmas and miss terribly. I play guitar and these records
have really influenced my playing.

I had quite a large vinyl LP collection which i sold before xmas and miss terribly.

Yeah, I have about 8 feet of vinyl albums, mostly jazz, some
folk and 50's R&R. No idea what to do with them. Kids don't want them
both 'cause of the music styles, but also they do not have turntables.

Hate to trash them all. But what else???

I forgot to mention that other music I like is old songs like of the war time etc. I was born way aftert the war but I love those songs. Vera lynn etc.

Bob Dylan is playing live about 5 mins from my house on june 30th at the hop farm festival unfortuntly i am in Manchester that day watching the Stone Roses at Heaton park.The Hop Farm festival was great last year with Prince and Morrisey as headliners.Tickets on sale now!!

Back