Favourite scene.

onyx(John)

Administrator
Staff member
Maybe this topic has been covered before but here goes anyway.I was wondering about the most favourite scenes from the series people might have. There are so many memorable moments to choose from but one I always look forward to seeing is the cloakroom scene near the end of 'Short Back and Palais Glide' where the three lads are hiding, having been refused admission to the dance. Sid is smuggling in food and bottles of beer and the boys are playing cards and reminiscing about the war. A very simple scene with nothing much happening except the boys enjoying each other`s company which was the essence of what Summer wine was about. Another favourite and very similar scene was towards the end of 'Pate and Chips' the lads were having a drink before returning home.Their table was groaning under the weight of beer bottles with Chip and the wife canoodling in the back round. Compo was berating Blanmire for his lack of wartime romance, with Blanmire explaining that he`d swore an oath to be faithful to Anne Shelton.So many to chose from but those two rate very highly with me anyway. :) ;) :D ;D

My favourite s are from the same episode .I make no apology for re stating the fact that they're from Getting Barry Higher in the World.
First is where Cleggy feeds the horse and reminisces about The Goon Show.
Second is where they 're standing on the hillside watching the train below. Compo says "I wonder where its going?" Seymour says"London probably!" At this they all take off their hats. :D

My favourite s are from the same episode .I make no apology for re stating the fact that they're from Getting Barry Higher in the World.
First is where Cleggy feeds the horse and reminisces about The Goon Show.
Second is where they 're standing on the hillside watching the train below. Compo says "I wonder where its going?" Seymour says"London probably!" At this they all take off their hats. :D

Two of my favourite there too Dick, I also like the scene in Woolen Mills of the Mind where their sitting in the cafe and Compo is telling the others that he doesn't want Nora to go the same way has Marilyn Monroe and Cleggy says he suspects that a lot of things happened to Marilyn Monroe that wont happen to Nora Batty and any scene with Wally in is a good scene for me :)

two great scenes susan, I also love the scene where they are sleeping in the barn in" hail one summer morning or thereabouts"....there are so many memorable scenes but the three we have mentioned between us are from the very early years.....I wonder if we are looking back nostalgicly to those days, but of course you may be far too young to consider that !! ;D

Two of my favorites : In Service to Humanity ~ When they are in the pub, Wally comes in and says, "Did I miss something? Is it national Swiss Week?" Anything will Wally is priceless, but here he is FREE and able to be witty. In Mending Stuart's Leg, I love it when Nora let's a grin and a giggle slip out as she maneuvers around Clegg to avoid Compo. Love them all ~~ but not crazy about the Dream Acres episode . . just found the bum annoying.

For me it's an easy choice, they are two scenes from "The Charity Balls", the first one when the trio are walking past the cafe during the opening credits, I know to others its just another scene but seeing its my earliest memory of Last of the Summer Wine it means a lot to me, the other scene from that episode is when Foggy is moaning near the stream and he is doing the military moves and Compo says quick march and Foggy walks into the stream, thats the first ever scene of Last of the Summer Wine that I laughed at so these two scenes mean a lot to me, although there other scenes I like but these two have summat special connected to me so I have to go for these two.

yes we all have our favourites, and lets face it theres an awful lot to choose from....I suppose i'm lucky in that I have followed losw from the outset......gone through a career, married, had a family (grown up now) it was like a limb being removed when it ended.....but this forum is a wonderful way of keeping it alive and is full of wonderful people ;) ;) ;)

yes we all have our favourites, and lets face it theres an awful lot to choose from....I suppose i'm lucky in that I have followed losw from the outset......gone through a career, married, had a family (grown up now) it was like a limb being removed when it ended.....but this forum is a wonderful way of keeping it alive and is full of wonderful people ;) ;) ;)
Thankee kind sirr. ;D We're all very friendly together :) :)

True, as Summer wine fans we have an enormous back catalogue to chose from. Despite having seen all the episodes many times there are still snippets that I cant recall from before so it's like seeing them for the first time,which is a treat. :D

Maybe this topic has been covered before but here goes anyway.I was wondering about the most favourite scenes from the series people might have. There are so many memorable moments to choose from but one I always look forward to seeing is the cloakroom scene near the end of 'Short Back and Palais Glide' where the three lads are hiding, having been refused admission to the dance. Sid is smuggling in food and bottles of beer and the boys are playing cards and reminiscing about the war. A very simple scene with nothing much happening except the boys enjoying each other`s company which was the essence of what Summer wine was about. Another favourite and very similar scene was towards the end of 'Pate and Chips' the lads were having a drink before returning home.Their table was groaning under the weight of beer bottles with Chip and the wife canoodling in the back round. Compo was berating Blanmire for his lack of wartime romance, with Blanmire explaining that he`d swore an oath to be faithful to Anne Shelton.So many to chose from but those two rate very highly with me anyway. :) ;) :D ;D

Yes John, this topic has been covered before but like most, if someone were to ask me this months apart, I would have different answers each time.

I think we all develop a strong connection for the characters. I wrote about Short Back and Palais Glide before. It is a simple episode where the trio wander around a lot. But in its simplicity it is just great to see these character develop. The scene where Sid brings them beer and food is great. It always sticks out to me as well.

The Pate and Chips scene is also memorable; just to see the fellowship of these guys.

There are so many scenes and at the moment I am thinking of warm moments more than the most hysterical ones. I recently wrote about the close up of Nora's photo in Compo's Maurice Chevalier performance.

Here is a simple on that I will focus on today. It is the duel scene in Brushes at Dawn. It is not the duel itself but it is when the camera shows the crowd on the grass hill. Here Howard and Pearl are sitting next to each other in unison. It lasts for only a second. It is significant because for decades we always see Pearl yelling at Howard and Howard trying to be sneaky. However, for a quick moment, they are comfortably together!

Oh now this is a tough one cos there has been so many over the different eras. Any with Wally in spring to mind straight away I am going to have to give this some thought.

Any scene with the little arched stone bridge is a favorite with me. It wasn't
just scenes with people in them but scenery as well. :)

I agree, the scenery was just as important as the actors. I also agree with the people who favour any scene with Wally Batty in. It`s probably an unfair question anyway to ask people to single out any particular scene. Since I posted my favourite ones a few days ago I have thought of many more memorable moments since :D :D ;) ;)

I have a picture of that bridge that I use as a screensaver on my computer. I also heard that the town pulled down the outdoor stone shelter because of vandalism that so many scenes were filmed in. Very sad if that is true.

Love the barbershop scene in the first episode with Frank Middlemass. Smoking a cigarette, cutting hair and talking all at the same time.
The end of Pate and Chips where they are on the steps of Compo's house sharing a last drink from the same can. Blamire toasting "the lady who managed the NAAFI on Ozworth street during the war, the one with the glasses."

Love the barbershop scene in the first episode with Frank Middlemass. Smoking a cigarette, cutting hair and talking all at the same time.
The end of Pate and Chips where they are on the steps of Compo's house sharing a last drink from the same can. Blamire toasting "the lady who managed the NAAFI on Ozworth street during the war, the one with the glasses."

it wasn't Ozworth Street Don, it was Oswestry he said, it's a place in Wales where he went to when he left, i assume this is the same lady mentioned in this episode as in that one

That is an excellent scene too Don :) ;) :D ;D

it wasn't Ozworth Street Don, it was Oswestry he said, it's a place in Wales where he went to when he left, i assume this is the same lady mentioned in this episode as in that one

I listened three times and still didn't it get it right. :D I took me a while to figure out what a NAAFI was too. I spelled it six ways to Sunday before I finally figured out that it was an acronym.

I listened three times and still didn't it get it right. :D I took me a while to figure out what a NAAFI was too. I spelled it six ways to Sunday before I finally figured out that it was an acronym.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Navy,_Army_and_Air_Force_Institutes

Got it. We have something similar hear in the states. There is AAFES (Army and Air Force Exchange Service) where service members shop for goods, groceries and general services (barber shop, auto repair shop, etc). Some of the money generated there is put into the MWR program (Morale, Welfare and Recreation). The MWR runs leisure services, such as fitness centers, pools, marinas, bowling centers, golf courses, restaurants, etc which are usually free for service members and their dependents.

Back