Getting older?

dick

LOTSW Fanatic
Been to the dentist this morning. My current dentist is a nice lady of middle European extraction called Marketa. Because I remember Karl Denver's hit from the 60's or 70's he pronounced Markeeta when singing, I always say that. The bright young things on reception appear to want to correct me by saying it as Marketta ::) This happens almost every time. This morning I foolishly tried to explain why I said it that way. Putting all she said into one or two words is easy. Who's that?? ??? Marketa is leaving the practice soon so I may have another name to show my age soon ;) PS I know the songs real title was spelt differently :-[

In this topic one person made xenophobic remarks.
That person has been removed with more than a tray on his head.

Please, if this happens again: use "report to moderator" right beneath the posts in this forum.

If I'd known this topic would cause such problems I would have left it out. :-[ :'(

The topic is not a problem.
The way some people react, is a problem.
You can not foresee this kind of reactions.

I think we have to consider some extra manners to keep this forum free of troublemakers.
Maybe more moderators are necessary?
And more people who use the link "Report to the moderator".
Now I am on this forum at work... And at night I don't have always time and energy to watch this forum.

Terry is doing this job. But he has also other obligations and can not do this 24 hours a day.

The other day my five year old nephew said to my mum"Nanna how old are you"
My mum replied"64 Darling i,m 64"
My nephew replied"Oh well you look 79" I've Heard of getting older but not that quick.Bless him we all laughed. :D

My nephew replied"Oh well you look 79" I've Heard of getting older but not that quick.Bless him we all laughed. :D

Kids don't you just love em ;D

In this topic one person made xenophobic remarks.
That person has been removed with more than a tray on his head.
Please, if this happens again: use "report to moderator" right beneath the posts in this forum.

I will try to be brief - and that may be rash. This posting worried me enormously yesterday and I kept thinking about responding. Now I have thought about it overnight and am no more comfortable about it this morning. That discomfort might have been enhanced by noting a reference to point that another "Global Moderator" has been appointed.

My concern is that we are going to fall into become circumscribed by dumbly tracking the dreaded PC brigade who are determined to dictate exactly what we can think and what we can say - yes, the Big Brother syndrome.

This posting leads off by saying that "one person made xenophobic remarks". Someone else's opinion. I cannot judge. The alleged remark have been withdrawn. I do vaguely recall what I presume to have been the subject of the allegation. Certainly did not upset me. My recollection is that someone from US was directly and forcibly suggesting that "When in Rome, do as the Romans do", a sentiment by which I have always tried to live. I certainly would not go to the Netherlands and behave in any manner excusing myself by stating my behaviour is totally acceptable in the UK. When a guest in another country I respect the wishes and customs of my host nation. And, incidentally, I have no objection to direct and straight talking - calling a spade a spade. It is the meally mouthed holding no real opinions but trying to please all that I cannot tolerate.

Of course, I do have a major problem here. What is alleged to have caused offence has been removed. I cannot read it in order to analyse it properly. To me that does constitute censorship.

I also recall the assumed, alleged offending posting complaining about our having to suffer and be expected to put up with appalling English. Well, without apology, I am sick and tired of people coming on the television or invading the privacy of my home on the telephone and speaking with such appalling English that I cannot understand a word they say.

And, somewhat on that score, would someone please explain to me what "removed with more than a tray on his head" means?

I realise this posting might well make me the subject of censor by the dreaded Global Moderator brigade. So be it. If this forum is going to become subject to the creeping dictatorship of the PC brigade I do not want anything more to do with it. Apart from anything else it would be completely out of touch with the free thinking ethos of Last of the Summer Wine.

I could say more but I did say I would try to be brief.
"Bear with me.
My heart is in the coffin there with Caesar,
And I must pause till it come back to me."

If in Rome do what Romans do.
If in this forum do what your hosts expect you to do?

If you have an account on this forum, you have agreed with this registration form:
http://www.summerwine.net/community/index.php?action=register

Censorship is 'moderating' before you publish. On most political or newspaper forums I know they do that.
Else you get a lot of hateful-posts.

Here it is published immediately uncensored and those who moderate this website can decide later against it.

If the majority of this forum-visitors do want the freedom of hate-speech here, I will ask Terry to wipe me out of this forum.
I do not want to be involved with a hate-spreading-forum...

My recollection is that someone from US was directly and forcibly suggesting that "When in Rome, do as the Romans do", a sentiment by which I have always tried to live. I certainly would not go to the Netherlands and behave in any manner excusing myself by stating my behaviour is totally acceptable in the UK. When a guest in another country I respect the wishes and customs of my host nation. And, incidentally, I have no objection to direct and straight talking - calling a spade a spade. It is the meally mouthed holding no real opinions but trying to please all that I cannot tolerate.

Hi,

I totally agree with the "When in Rome, do as Romans do", but that wasn´t exactly the point of the removed member. He wasn´t complaining about bad manners or foreigners being unwilling to adapt, he was complaining about bad English! That is a huge difference. People can adapt and still not be able to pronounce their English well enough to English standards (same with any other language).
Imagine you go to the Netherlands and people start complaining about your bad Dutch (if you can speak any at all that is). I have heard many Brits trying to pronounce a few German or even Dutch words and they also failed miserably quite often, but they tried. I think tolerance and patience are the key words here.
Sorry, but it really annoys me that so many English native speakers don´t bother at all with foreign languages, but then lash out against those who are doing their best with English!

And, speaking of languages, to moderate derives from Latin and means to level out, so that is what a moderator is supposed to do when an argument begins to get out of control. If you call that "creeping dictatorship", I really don´t know... That aside, the ethos of LOTSW is certainly not in agreement with xenophobic remarks. Poor Entwistle ::).

This may be removed as well, depending on the replies, sorry Terry, but I couldn´t keep my mouth shut.

There are freedom of speech issues here but please lets leave it to the political forums and not this one :'( . I try to be light -hearted most of the time and would like to keep this forum light-hearted! ;) :p

To add to this post i put on this morning.My mum enjoyed herself today doing all the polishing this morning'The only problem was instead of using pledge polish she polished everting with Ant and Cockroach Killer because it was in the cupboard and the same colour as pledge.She didnt know untill she looked at the tin,She just took it out of the cupboard and started polishing.So mabye my nephew was right about here being 79.

You are quite right, ****. Many people here don't speak another language. Consider my own case. I was born in Wales, lived here all my life, Welsh family, Welsh name, been a member of a Welsh chapel for 29 years and don't speak Welsh. Never bothered to learn even my own language, much less anyone elses.
But I speak English okay. I suppose it's been adopted as a kind of universal language.
Maybe we could all agree on we speak Summer Wine language. That connects us all quite well.

I tried learning other languages but failed on pronunciation in French, just could not get the sounds as they were on the Bon Jour record we had. Any one else have those Bon Jour records in the late 1950s or very early 1960s at school?

One of the snags is dialect: I understand the Yorkshire dialect for example, but if I try to say it it just sounds wrong as I only have one accent : what is known as RP, received pronunciation or commonly known as BBC English (which it is not quite). Hence the problem with French. I had slightly more success with Russian as the sounds fitted better with my tones. ::)

These days I think I still have enough trouble getting the English correct, but the auto-correct function on these posts I find really helpful because I have atrocious typing. :( ???

To go right back to the dentist. My dentist is a lovely Indian girl, she is efficient and kind, but she has a strong accent, and I am DEAF. We have so much trouble communicating. I am thinking of hiring an interpreter (or taking the husband in with me). Now do I ask to be changed to another dentist and risk being put down as racist? Her nurse by the way is Chinese, so no help there.

Ess

I have trouble hearing so can sympathise.

However I never heard what my dentist said as some machinery was making a noise at the same time, and he never heard what I said as he always had his hand in my mouth which meant that what I said made no sense at all! ???

My problem in that direction is I am slightly deaf and am never sure if Marketa is talking to me or her "helper". :-[

To go right back to the dentist. My dentist is a lovely Indian girl, she is efficient and kind, but she has a strong accent, and I am DEAF. We have so much trouble communicating. I am thinking of hiring an interpreter (or taking the husband in with me). Now do I ask to be changed to another dentist and risk being put down as racist? Her nurse by the way is Chinese, so no help there.
Having done some "investigation " (my sister in law retired a couple of years ago from a Home that she'd helped to run for 34 years) There should be in the dentists, either in the waiting room or reception , a notice on the wall saying what can or cant be done by law. This involves a "two way accord "so that you can ask for help with your particular dentist without appearing racist.This may involve telling them you are hard of hearing not that her accent is the problem.This accord is a two way street, they have to give you what you need at the same time they expect you to treat them fairly (no abuse etc). You should be able to read this statement without any trouble and if its not available you can ask for it. A similar statement should be available at hospitals, clinics and surgeries. Hope this helps a little :) She was not sure if it comes under the heading of "Mission Statement" as it used to!

Back