Is Commercial TV Struggling

Status
Not open for further replies.
The question was, "Is Commercial TV struggling?" Well, I will say yes. I can look at the TV listings in the paper and they do quick summaries of about 10 shows. And I can't even recognize the name of those shows much less the networks that they are on because they are available -- not via cable but they are available via something called streaming. And I am not sure what streaming is, except that it probably is available via the smart phone (souped up cell [mobile] phone) or tablet.

Streaming is simply a name given to a number of companies who deliver content through a subscription service which can be shown on a number of different devices including smart TV's , phones , tablets etc across a broadband link or through a subscription multi media cable company such as Virgin Media, BT Openreach in the UK . The common ones are Netflix, Amazon Prime, Apple TV , here in the UK we have Britbox which shows classic content from the BBC, ITV and C4.

Streaming is simply a name given to a number of companies who deliver content through a subscription service which can be shown on a number of different devices including smart TV's , phones , tablets etc across a broadband link or through a subscription multi media cable company such as Virgin Media, BT Openreach in the UK . The common ones are Netflix, Amazon Prime, Apple TV , here in the UK we have Britbox which shows classic content from the BBC, ITV and C4.

Captain Britbox was launched in the USA some time before it was available in the UK

Absolutely agree, when I was little, back in the stone age, tv didn't start until dinner and ended at midnight. 4 channels and there was always something new to watch now its 24/7 wall to wall rubbish on 500 channels. I have Sky and Netflix but spent the weekend watching DVDs.
Yep, back in 70's where i grew up (hey Captain Cook actually landed directly outside my joint :D) we had channels 2 - 7 - 9 - 10 and on occasions if it was clear weather we could get 4 ... they all closed at round 10pm from memory and started again 6am. back when people actually had to turn the power on in the morning!!!

Anyone remember the epilogue , it was the programme that marked the closing down of the channel for the day . Billy Connolly does a wonderful skit about that and the TV closing down for the night in Scotland .

I feel the BBC is seriously struggling, I cannot see it surviving in it's present form for much longer. And sadly I feel they're the architects of their own downfall......

Not much chance of the national anthem getting reinstated on the BBC in the current political climate :rolleyes:

We could go with Billy Connolly's suggestion who thinks we don't do well in Olympics etc because the National Anthem is so slow are in his words frankly boring that we should change it for something brighter and he believes the theme from the Archers is the very thing . In lieu of being carted off to the tower these are his thoughts and not mine . :30:;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back