Julie T Wallace (Mrs Avery)

there was a piece about this in the daily mail a couple of months ago, she left cause she fell out with alan bell, she really got on well with the cast but not him, i did make a thread about so it shud b on here sumwhere

there was a piece about this in the daily mail a couple of months ago, she left cause she fell out with alan bell, she really got on well with the cast but not him, i did make a thread about so it shud b on here sumwhere

I often wonder just how difficult Alan Bell could be at times. He comes across as 'Mr Nice Guy', but Brian Wilde had problems with him as well.

I do not think Julie was a great loss to the programme because I think the story lines improved without her character.

I do not think Julie was a great loss to the programme because I think the story lines improved without her character.

Hmm, not sure about that, i quite liked her, didn't see the point of the other girl though (forget her name).
I would like to have seen tom and loli settled down in the bus, such as where they had it parked up in say "waggoners roll" in series 22, with the fence and the garden space around it, i thought it looked quite a good setup.
I think some decent storylines could have been written for them as a couple, would have been interesting imo.

G ; )

I felt that too. She and Nora had something good starting, but Kathy Staff left for her 'gap year' and I suppose Lolly, had outlived her usefulness. A pity. I loved the episode where she couldn't tell her left from her right. I suffer from this syndrome. I hate being asked the way by a stranger to our area, the lord only knows where the poor soul end up.

I often wonder just how difficult Alan Bell could be at times. He comes across as 'Mr Nice Guy', but Brian Wilde had problems with him as well.

I do recommend a read of Andrew Vine's book, particularly the chapter "Loyal but Disagreeable". It was not that "Brian Wilde had problems with him as well". Everyone had problems with Brian Wilde. The chapter gives a very good insight into how Bell handled all the top people. He did get on very well with Bill Owen.

And in a later chapter it is stated that the female companions who arrived with Tom, Mrs Avery and Babs, were "dropped" because their hippy lifestyles did not fit the fantasy world of Summer Wine.

Andrew Vines book is worth getting. I think one of the things that comes out of that book is the immense respect everyone involved has for Mr Sallis.

I do recommend a read of Andrew Vine's book, particularly the chapter "Loyal but Disagreeable". It was not that "Brian Wilde had problems with him as well". Everyone had problems with Brian Wilde. The chapter gives a very good insight into how Bell handled all the top people. He did get on very well with Bill Owen.

And in a later chapter it is stated that the female companions who arrived with Tom, Mrs Avery and Babs, were "dropped" because their hippy lifestyles did not fit the fantasy world of Summer Wine.

I think this is the answer: the off screen hiccoughs are recorded in Andrew Vine's book and it seems that some, such as Peter Salllis and Michael Aldridge as well as Frank Thornton did a great job in keeping the peace and creating a good overall rapport.

However, you work with someone for 20 plus years - is it always sweetness and light? I know a lady who tells me she and her husband of many years have never had a cross word - I think they may be somewhat rare.

I felt that too. She and Nora had something good starting, but Kathy Staff left for her 'gap year' and I suppose Lolly, had outlived her usefulness. A pity. I loved the episode where she couldn't tell her left from her right. I suffer from this syndrome. I hate being asked the way by a stranger to our area, the lord only knows where the poor soul end up.

Me too Ess, I'm dyslexic, and one of my problems is not knowing my left from right, it can be funny sometimes. :) My driving instructor who after getting fed up with saying " No, the other left!!" Put stickers on the steering wheel with L & R on :D

I liked when Nora and Mrs. Avery were trying to show each other that they kept the cleanest home.

I agree. After watching two episodes, I can truthfully say that Mrs. Avery and the whole RV thing just do not fit in.

Back