Memories

When you bought a new car and had a sign in the back "Running in Please Pass"
Father in law only bought "bangers" which he would drive at every opportunity. When he was not tinkering he would take us on day trips, the number of times we had to push the darn things back home because the gauge had stuck or the tank had a slow leak.(this was in the early days of my marriage , before the kids came along) ;)

The clinking of milk bottles in the morning,it was as good as any alarm clock

As late as 1984 I can recall milk being delivered by horse and cart in the bit of Bradford which is almost in Calderdale (very near where there is half a railway viaduct across the A58 - just ends witha big gap!)

:eek: Dredging the memory bank here but did anyone else have the TEN -O -CLOCK HORSES??? This was before all the streets were connected to the main drainage and men used to come round with horse and cart after 10 pm to empty the "pan lavvies" at the bottom of the gardens. These were the toilets and they had to be emptied daily. Children who were late going to bed were threatened that the 10 o clock horses were coming so they had to hurry!! Aaah enlightened days!!! ::)

Changing the subject from my last post but we had the modern version of a"rag and bone man" this morning.He'd stolen a little something from the ice cream man in the fact of not having bell chimes, he had PETER SELLERS song ' Any Old Iron' blasting out along the street. He was followed this afternoon by another one who used a megaphone to ask for your scrap!! ;D

I do recall the Rag and Bone man and I think if you had some rags etc you might get a goldfish,but I do not remember the collection in the late evening of the outside privves waste,what a job

you get sick of the scrap men round where i live in sunderland, with the old ford transit vans rusted up to the roof and old metal framed beds propping up the sides to create more space. Its just a matter of time before something falls off and damages my or anyone elses car or hurts someone!

I do recall the Rag and Bone man and I think if you had some rags etc you might get a goldfish,but I do not remember the collection in the late evening of the outside privves waste,what a job

Known in Leeds as the 'night soil men' - the bylaws usually stipulated that this work could only be done ater a certain hour - it might have been eight in Leeds but by the time I got to live there such things had ceased - although quite a few outside loos were still the only facility available.

Back