Remember 23rd April - You WILL get a warning!

What I don't like is that it will override your phone settings & not allow your phone to work until you acknowledge it. I bet the scammers are working on something to get in before the government & get you to click on theirs 1st, as you'll be expecting the message. Scary times.

I do own a mobile phone, but it's not a so called "smartphone", only a cheap one I keep for emergencies and a line to my parents. Will I still get the message?

If yours is a dumb phone then that makes YOU the smart one! We have WiFi security cameras, so I guess the Chinese can see our drive & garden. It's a far cry from Aunties security lights.

If yours is a dumb phone then that makes YOU the smart one! We have WiFi security cameras, so I guess the Chinese can see our drive & garden. It's a far cry from Aunties security lights.
No need to worry about the Chinese extracting data from the ECU in Edies car !!!!

It can be a good thing. Got something similar here in the states. Give warnings for local severe storms, tornadoes, etc. Which is good if you don't have the news or anything on to give a heads up. If there is a tornado nearby in the area where you are and the alert says to take shelter. That is a good thing to know!

Also a local Amber Alert for child kidnappings where it gives description of getaway car, etc. So if someone sees them they can notify the police.

Gotten maybe less then a handful of the alerts in the years since we had it. Can remember it sounding off on at least two severe storms and warning of possible tornado conditions.

I see it like the days of as a kid when the local TV station (Over-the-Air days, before cable and internet TV) would send out the Emergency Broadcast Signal Alert to warn of local dangers. Dad always ran into the room to see the TV when they did their alert test tone as the TV said something like 'This is only a test of the Emergency Broadcast System. This is only a test. If this was an actual emergency...'

Surprised you all don't have something like this already.

Luckily it's not compatible with my phone, but apparently you can disable the emergency alerts on devices that will work with it. Knowing our govt they'll send warnings when the temps are due to go above 30C and tell us to stay inside etc.

Knowing our govt they'll send warnings when the temps are due to go above 30C and tell us to stay inside etc.
I can picture Pearl telling Howard to get outside and clean the windows back to front. Howard replies he can't because the gov said not to do anything physical outdoors when it is over 30C. Pearl responding then she will find him something to clean indoors. Howard then quickly pedals off down the lane on his bicycle. :29:

Back