Russ Abbot

alf fletcher

I have watched Summer Wine since it started,but since Russ Abbot came into it I cannot bare to watch it anymore, I do hope he's not in ANYMORE! It is my favourite programme and even beats FOOLS & HORSES, I am still watching repeats on G.O.L.D, but will NOT watch any with R.A in it.........NEVER!
Does anyone else agree with me?

I agree about RA but it will not stop me from watching. I find that a lot of his lines are very close to some of foggys which is abit off putting. I think we could have done without him.

I would only state that each time a new character is introduced - as happened with Seymour, Truly and so on - it does take time for the change to settle down and the character to fit in. Some of the early Foggy episodes have a quite different approach to some later ones.

There have been new individuals who did not stay the course - Mrs Avery for example: although sometimes it is nothing more sinister than the unavailability of the actor.

I agree there are some similarities with Foggy - the world of make believe that is patently unrealistic. I recall reading about the previews some have been able to see and the comment that Hobbo's character is "better" so I would say, let us wait until the next six episodes are broadcast and we all have a chance to look before we write off the programme.

Some have found recurrent jokes wearing a little thin - such as Howard and Marina - in the past but most continue as fans.

I would only state that each time a new character is introduced - as happened with Seymour, Truly and so on - it does take time for the change to settle down and the character to fit in. Some of the early Foggy episodes have a quite different approach to some later ones.

There have been new individuals who did not stay the course - Mrs Avery for example: although sometimes it is nothing more sinister than the unavailability of the actor.

I agree there are some similarities with Foggy - the world of make believe that is patently unrealistic. I recall reading about the previews some have been able to see and the comment that Hobbo's character is "better" so I would say, let us wait until the next six episodes are broadcast and we all have a chance to look before we write off the programme.

Some have found recurrent jokes wearing a little thin - such as Howard and Marina - in the past but most continue as fans.

I must admit I have not been a great lover of the new trio format, and lot is due to RA but a lot will be down to the scripts and as mentioned and what I spotted while on set last year,I believe the next batch will be better,lets hope they show them soon

I really like Russ Abbot, and although he will never be Brian Wilde, I think he fits in pretty well, and in my opinion he is a really good actor.

I loved Russ in his own show back I think in the 80's,then he seemed to vanish for some years,as Robin said he is very talented which is why it is the scripts that hold him back, in the last series I only once spotted the old Russ Abbott, lets hope we see more of what he is capable of this year

I have watched Summer Wine since it started,but since Russ Abbot came into it I cannot bare to watch it anymore, I do hope he's not in ANYMORE! It is my favourite programme and even beats FOOLS & HORSES, I am still watching repeats on G.O.L.D, but will NOT watch any with R.A in it.........NEVER!
Does anyone else agree with me?

I do not like RA either. It really bothers me that they have him mimicking Foggy's old personality. Why could they not come up with an original character for RA? So far out of the new trio all I like is Entwhistle.

Back