Series 14 and 15 Observation

codfanglers

Dedicated Member
I believe it was Chuck that started the "Golden Years" thread. Generally the early 90s is considered a "not-so golden time for Summer Wine" as some of the storylines weaken a bit and some things get too repetitive. I am currently at the start of Series 15 and I watch these episodes with a grain of salt. They are not masterpieces but still enjoyable. I messed a few, like Stop that Castle and I believe it was called "Who's Got Rhythm". However I watched Camera Shy for the first time ever and just saw Where Theres Smoke, There's Barbecue for the 2nd or 3rd time.

While somethings get a little old at times- Foggy's war stories and sometimes Howard and marina plots, I find the fairly new arrival of Auntie Wainwright as a very good thing I enjoy Cleggs fear of her. But my main impression is that I really like Foggy when he is in Auntie's shop. He got the video recorder in Camera Shy and was so excited that he thought he was gong to launch a new career. (by the way, I loved watching that obscure film Foggy made on Howard and Pearl's TV) Then in "where There's smoke" he gets the telescope and barbecue and is excited about it.

I just love how most people either fear Auntie Wainwright or they leave her shop feeling ripped off, but Foggy is too dim-witted to realize it. Instead he is always excited.

And speaking of Auntie wainwright, one of my favorite episodes is coming to my station soon "There are Gypsies at the Bottom of the Hill" where the gypsy meets her match!

I found from 1992 onwards the series wasn't as good, relying too much on secondary characters and repetive themes. From this point I also find it very hard to distinguish between some episodes.

Still kept watching though. ;)

The story lines did flag a bit sometimes, but then you would get a gem like 'The Crowcroft Challenge', and things got better.

The story lines did flag a bit sometimes, but then you would get a gem like 'The Crowcroft Challenge', and things got better.

Moved on a long way from Series 14 and 15 - "The Crowcroft Challenge" - one of the better episodes from Series 28 when the show had moved into the doldrums. Billy Harcastle had gone, Clegg was taking more and more of a back seat. Revived a bit with guest stars in Series 29 but after that all we had was Hobbo infested Series 30 and 31.

I agree story line flagged a bit in the latter Foggy days but it picked up with the advent of Truly and the Billy and Alvin.

Although Foggy will always be the favourite third man, the show was certainly refreshed when Truly took over.

As said on a previous topic, it would certainly be interesting if Foggy returned following the death of Compo. Though the 'structure' of the trio would have been unbalanced, it would have been superb. There were enough secondary characters to provide the Compo-like gags.

I noticed around this time period that the shows would always start with a bunch of irrelevant, silly clips (sometimes good) with Compo opening his window, Foggy sharing war time stories, Eli's short appearances, and Howard asking Clegg for favors. But then the storylines finally started developing. I believe there are still gems during this time; Camera Shy, Black Widow (especially with Foggy and Compo's hangover), and There are Gypsies at the Bottom of Our Garden).

Moved on a long way from Series 14 and 15 - "The Crowcroft Challenge" - one of the better episodes from Series 28 when the show had moved into the doldrums. Billy Harcastle had gone, Clegg was taking more and more of a back seat. Revived a bit with guest stars in Series 29 but after that all we had was Hobbo infested Series 30 and 31.

I agree story line flagged a bit in the latter Foggy days but it picked up with the advent of Truly and the Billy and Alvin.

Of course the quality of the show declined when Sallis and Thornton's roles deminished, however, I believe Series 30 and 31 is actually better than series 29. I grew to like Hobbo a little and at least there was a direction with those two years. Series 29 was just all over the place for me, too much of a transition period with no real direction and guest starts taking lead roles.

Of course the quality of the show declined when Sallis and Thornton's roles deminished, however, I believe Series 30 and 31 is actually better than series 29. I grew to like Hobbo a little and at least there was a direction with those two years. Series 29 was just all over the place for me, too much of a transition period with no real direction and guest starts taking lead roles.

i agree with u there cod, 29 was all over the place and 30 and 31 got a routine back with the show it has missed since compo went, shame they axed it when russ was just getting into hobbo and wud have loved 2 have seen a another series or 2 to c where roy cud go with hobbo and the newer characters

i agree with u there cod, 29 was all over the place and 30 and 31 got a routine back with the show it has missed since compo went, shame they axed it when russ was just getting into hobbo and wud have loved 2 have seen a another series or 2 to c where roy cud go with hobbo and the newer characters

Will always disagree. Although in Series 29 Clegg had already taken a back seat we still had Truly. And we still got more of Clegg than in Series 30 and 31. They were a one-man band, very divorced from the trio concept which had rippled all the way through the show (apart from the fine days when there were four of them). As far as I am concerned they might as well have called Series 30 and 31 "The Russ Abbott" show, written by Roy Clarke (which was their only saving grace.

It really was a bit late in the show's life to start a new trio with a new star (Russ Abbot). If the show was going to end, series 29 would have been a good place to finish.

There was a lot of talk prior to series 30 about Russ Abbot appearing. I assumed Russ Abbot would be taking over the Clegg role, as Sallis was clearly struggling, and Thornton seemed full of energy. Alan JW Bell was excited that Abbot was going to take a lead role - I don't know why as keeping the old cast together seems more desirable to me.

However, the unthinkable happened, and to me Abbot was better than the more established characters Alvin and Entwistle - no doubt there for me.

Although Foggy will always be the favourite third man, the show was certainly refreshed when Truly took over.

As said on a previous topic, it would certainly be interesting if Foggy returned following the death of Compo. Though the 'structure' of the trio would have been unbalanced, it would have been superb. There were enough secondary characters to provide the Compo-like gags.

Wrapping up with the last few posts by Big Unc and WSTOL. You do make an interesting point WSTOL about a possible comeback by Brian Wilde after Compo's passing. Considering Wilde and Owen didn't get along that might make even more sense to Wilde to do this, but I believe health was the problem. Isn't that why he left Summer Wine in the first place around 1998?

As always Big Unc, I certainly respect your stand, and truthfully, I have to view series 29 again just to see how much Truly still made an impact. The last time my Public Television station aired Season 29 I took a break from the show and then returned to it a couple weeks later to study the Hobbo years closer. This is when I was surprised to find that I grew to like him after the third round of viewing him.

Back