Studio Picture #1

Makes me wonder what they used for the cellar in Fig Biscuits and Inspirational Toilet Rolls filming because there does not appear to be any sign of a trap door behind the counter unless its around the other side hidden from the camera in this shot . I seem to recall Arkwright was near the till area when he gets Granville to influence Mavis using the pan to amplify his voice . I would not expect to see one in the hairdressers anyway so assume they must have created one for those scenes ?

Makes me wonder what they used for the cellar in Fig Biscuits and Inspirational Toilet Rolls filming because there does not appear to be any sign of a trap door behind the counter unless its around the other side hidden from the camera in this shot . I seem to recall Arkwright was near the till area when he gets Granville to influence Mavis using the pan to amplify his voice . I would not expect to see one in the hairdressers anyway so assume they must have created one for those scenes ?
There wouldn't be a trap door at all, as the studio floor is solid concrete - and it's only in that one episode. The cellar itself would have been a separate set, with the part of the shop set you can see through the trap-door replicated. You don't actually see Arkwright fall into the cellar, he disappears behind the counter - the rest is suggestion and sound effects. It's likely the shop set was raised up a couple of feet, just for the shots from above when Arkwright is looking down through the trap door. These "special" shots would probably have been recorded a day or two before the audience record, so the set could be reconfigured.
The makers of the American series "The Big Bang Theory" convinced the studio that the show would be a hit, so they could make a hole in the studio floor for the stair-well and lift. They had to climb the same stairs several times with the set re-dressed each time so they looked like they were on different floors.

Back