The 28 steps

G

gill

Hi Pete. Hope everything is ok. I see that some of your post"s have gone. Hope nothing is wrong.

Hi Gill,thankyou for your concern,thats really thoughtful and kind of you,once I saw that you had read the post I took it down as I don't like putting what I do,my employers are really funny about all forms of social media and so I have a rule while I'm still employed by them to try and keep as anonymous as possible with them,I don't go on Facebook,but I do the same on Twitter and the football forums,sorry if it seemed strange I didn't intend for it to appear that way,hope everythings ok at work and maybe one day our paths will cross,thanks again,Pete (btw I hate my name on here but can't change it,when I joined I'd just finished reading The 39 Steps and it was a kind of Nora homage to that,call me Pete please) all the best,Pete x
PS I met a wonderful man last week and had the pleasure of his company for several hours,he said he was a stage entertainer before appearing regularly in Heartbeat,All Creatures Great and Small,37 times in Coronation Street,and most fascinating of all,six appearances in our show,Terry (Maltrab)might know him,he played Doggy Barnes in Beware of the Vanilla Slice,and he told me some lovely stories about the cast and how they all got on,I have a photo of him staring into Compo's face and I'm going to his house to ask him to sign it,he's 90 now and a wonderful man who has had such an interesting life,I know what we said the other day about drunks etc,but don't we also meet some lovely people,
Thanks again Gill x

It's a shame you cannot tell it like it is Pete! How are we to know the truth , if all we can have are press releases?>:14:

(btw I hate my name on here but can't change it,when I joined I'd just finished reading The 39 Steps and it was a kind of Nora homage to that,call me Pete please)

I've wondered about the origin of your username ever since I first saw it. Thanks for the clarification. (And isn't the 39 Steps a good book!)

Last edited:
he said he was a stage entertainer before appearing regularly in Heartbeat,All Creatures Great and Small,37 times in Coronation Street,and most fascinating of all,six appearances in our show

Guy who played Doggy Barnes is listed as Danny James but IMDB does
not show him on Heartbeat or Corrie. More info???

I've wondered about the origin of your username ever since I first saw it. Thanks for the clarification. (And isn't the 39 Steps a good book!)
It's a great book Marianna,I love all the old books and films,my favourite film is an old Hitchcock film called Rope,where these two students murder a friend and put his body in a trunk,in the room where the trunk is,there is a dinner party,and one of the guests is James Stewart who becomes more and more suspicious,as the dinner party unfolds the trunk is in shot most of the time,and only you and the murderers know its there,the tension builds and builds,I don't know if it had been done before,but the whole film is shot in this one room,with the camera angle barely changing,and its filmed in "real time" like a play,so the 90 minute film is the 90 minute dinner party,with no cuts,the suspense is terrific in it.

TERRY !

Terry only you have the power to help !
Is there any chance you could change my username to Pete
I'v tried this end several times and can't do it,
Thankyou.

Guy who played Doggy Barnes is listed as Danny James but IMDB does
not show him on Heartbeat or Corrie. More info???
Yes he said his name was Danny James when he appeared in it,but his real name didn't include either Danny or James in his forename or surname.I don't know if that's the name he always used,it's definitely him in The Vanilla Slice,he said he'd had a 70 year career in showbusiness and was friends with Ronnie Barker,while we were at his house he showed me photos of him with Barker and lots of other people from films and tv,and theatre programmes of shows he had been in,he said he started off doing a one man comedy act in theatres as a drunk,but I'm not sure if he used the same name as the drunk or in Heartbeat,Coronation Street and All Creatures,once he said he had been in LOTSW that's all I wanted to talk about,I'm hoping to go see him with the photo I have of him and Compo,he invited me to his house to share more memories,and will perhaps get chance for a longer chat,he's a lovely gentleman.

The 28 Steps

It's a great book Marianna,I love all the old books and films,my favourite film is an old Hitchcock film called Rope,where these two students murder a friend and put his body in a trunk,in the room where the trunk is,there is a dinner party,and one of the guests is James Stewart who becomes more and more suspicious,as the dinner party unfolds the trunk is in shot most of the time,and only you and the murderers know its there,the tension builds and builds,I don't know if it had been done before,but the whole film is shot in this one room,with the camera angle barely changing,and its filmed in "real time" like a play,so the 90 minute film is the 90 minute dinner party,with no cuts,the suspense is terrific in it.

Pete,

My favourite film is also a Hitchcock movie also starring James Stewart and of course the demure Grace Kelly, as she was then, and that is of course Rear Window . I had the VHS tape have the DVD and now the Blue Ray watched it countless times. If it was on the box now it would be on ,even though I can watch at any time. Have to say that Citizen Kane and The Quiet Man come a close joint second . There are so many films to enjoy

All excellent films captain aren't they,much better than any modern films with non stop bangs,crashes and CGI effects,Hitchcock was a master of suspense,can you imagine the cinemagoers today watching a film with no action or special effects,set in one room,and played out in real time,in those days they concentrated on brilliant writing,directing and of course acting,
All the best,take care,
Pete.
(Still no name change I see)

Pete. (Still no name change I see)

Try sending a PM to Terry. He's swamped right now with being the general contractor for his daughter's house renovation, but the message will be there when he can surface again.

I've just sent him one to ask if my username can be changed from "index4u" to my given name. When I registered, I wasn't too sure about the nature of the group, so wanted a bit of anonymity. I quickly realized that the natives are friendly, so anonymity is unnecessary.

Last edited:
Hi Gill,thankyou for your concern,thats really thoughtful and kind of you,once I saw that you had read the post I took it down as I don't like putting what I do,my employers are really funny about all forms of social media and so I have a rule while I'm still employed by them to try and keep as anonymous as possible with them,I don't go on Facebook,but I do the same on Twitter and the football forums,sorry if it seemed strange I didn't intend for it to appear that way,hope everythings ok at work and maybe one day our paths will cross,thanks again,Pete (btw I hate my name on here but can't change it,when I joined I'd just finished reading The 39 Steps and it was a kind of Nora homage to that,call me Pete please) all the best,Pete x
PS I met a wonderful man last week and had the pleasure of his company for several hours,he said he was a stage entertainer before appearing regularly in Heartbeat,All Creatures Great and Small,37 times in Coronation Street,and most fascinating of all,six appearances in our show,Terry (Maltrab)might know him,he played Doggy Barnes in Beware of the Vanilla Slice,and he told me some lovely stories about the cast and how they all got on,I have a photo of him staring into Compo's face and I'm going to his house to ask him to sign it,he's 90 now and a wonderful man who has had such an interesting life,I know what we said the other day about drunks etc,but don't we also meet some lovely people,
Thanks again Gill x
Hi mate. Are you on Twitter. Whats your user name. I will follow.

Like you Pete, I used to sign my name at the bottom of a post .Then one day I was spammed/hacked ??? and lost a lot of stuff including my previous posts! George and Terry said that as every one knew me as Dick anyway that I carry on using the name. The rest is history. :wink: I am not saying that is the way to go but keep the faith and you will get it sorted. ;D

Try sending a PM to Terry. He's swamped right now with being the general contractor for his daughter's house renovation, but the message will be there when he can surface again.

I've just sent him one to ask if my username can be changed from "index4u" to my given name. When I registered, I wasn't too sure about the nature of the group, so wanted a bit of anonymity. I quickly realized that the natives are friendly, so anonymity is unnecessary.
Thanks Marianna I'll do that when Terry has more time,I know from personal experience that during busy times,even when you have a pc or laptop nearby,you just can't find the time to go on,same reason I want my name changed,my current name is too impersonal,thanks for the advice,Pete.

Hi mate. Are you on Twitter. Whats your user name. I will follow.
That would be lovely Jay,must warn you a lot of my timeline is about the very poor football team I support,
I'v come back on to edit as I'v just read dicks post about spamming/hacking so will not post it on here and will send it in a private message,I'm not excluding anyone if they're also on Twitter,just had second thoughts having read that,thanks dick

Last edited:
Like you Pete, I used to sign my name at the bottom of a post .Then one day I was spammed/hacked ??? and lost a lot of stuff including my previous posts! George and Terry said that as every one knew me as Dick anyway that I carry on using the name. The rest is history. :wink: I am not saying that is the way to go but keep the faith and you will get it sorted. ;D
Thanks so much for that dick,I had left my account name and full name and Twitter details for Amos,then read this,you could have just saved me a whole lot of bother,Thankyou,Pete.

My Twitter details have been sent Amos,Thankyou dick,
and I'v also sent Terry one for when he has time to read it and help if he can,Thanks Marianna.
x

Thanks Marianna I'll do that when Terry has more time,I know from personal experience that during busy times,even when you have a pc or laptop nearby,you just can't find the time to go on,same reason I want my name changed,my current name is too impersonal,thanks for the advice,Pete.

Terry passed my question along to Tony (Cornishman), and he added the facility to change usernames. Click Settings at the top of this page, Edit Profile in the left sidebar on the settings page, look to the right for Username Change - Optional, and fill in the Edit Username box on that page (but no more often than every 21 days). I've changed mine.

Last edited:
Wow look at your new name,I can't wait to change mine !
Thanks for all the help and advice Marianna,I'v sent thankyou messages to Terry and Tony for putting that into the site,
Take care,thankyou,Pete.

Back