The Beatles

amos hames

Dedicated Member
I was in a charity shop in Tonbridge in Kent yesterday and a customer came in and was browsing at the compact discs and asked the girl behind the counter if they had anything by the Beatles and the girl said "Who are they i,ve never heard of them"I thought nearly everyone would of heard of them i had to laugh to myself i mean they are proberly the most famous and most succsesful band ever and also inspired a generation of musicans.Anyway the girl behind the counter had heard of Queen so she knows one decent band.She was quite young so she proberly likes people like One Direction.By the way the best Beatles album by a long way in my veiw is rubber soul. ;D

A bit surprising Amos, someone would have to have their head buried in the sand not to have heard of the Beatles. She redeemed herself by knowing about the existence of Queen though.

I think my favourite Beatles album would be between 'Revolver' or 'Rubber Soul' with a slightest of nods perhaps towards the former than the latter.

I'm really a fan but good lord my 11 year old grandaughter knows how they are!! But she also likes One Direction :'(
But on the plus size she also likes Queen (my influance) so there is hope for her yet!!

Sorry, thats ment to say I'm not really a fan and who they are not how !

I like Rubber Soul. I also love the rawness of Please Please Me. But equally Abbey Road stuns me every time. I've been a life long Beatles fan. Has anyone been to the Mathew Street Festival?

I was in a charity shop in Tonbridge in Kent yesterday and a customer came in and was browsing at the compact discs and asked the girl behind the counter if they had anything by the Beatles and the girl said "Who are they i,ve never heard of them"I thought nearly everyone would of heard of them i had to laugh to myself i mean they are proberly the most famous and most succsesful band ever and also inspired a generation of musicans.Anyway the girl behind the counter had heard of Queen so she knows one decent band.She was quite young so she proberly likes people like One Direction.By the way the best Beatles album by a long way in my veiw is rubber soul. ;D

I guess it is a sign of the times,I looked through the top 20 Albums charts today, 12 of the Artist I have never heard of, a couple of others I have heard the name,like this One Direction but never heard their music,I did love it when a new pop band came on and my grandkids were listening to it and I would know the words, they thought wow I was with it knowing this song,I then explained that was this song was on it's 3 plus time around,maybe once in the 80's and before that in the 60's.

There is very little talent for writing new songs these days, a lot of the current songs have 3 or 4 lines repeated endlessly and you find it had 6 to 8 writers, in the era of the Beatles and their ilk (Hands up those who do not know what a ilk is) we were bombarded with all kinds of new sounds,many of the songs were in your head for days if not weeks, often the B side of a single was as good as the A side, there was sheer talent out there, the super groups had folk buying their records before they had even been aired or released,you knew it would be good and worth the money, which you were happy to part with as it brought you pleasure.

I enjoyed every album released by the Beatles as each one was a new adventure and full of something different and new, OK some of the tracks on the later albums were not to my taste,I would find it hard to say any particular one was my favourite, I suppose With the Beatles gave us some of their least complicated work with every song easy to live with and maybe Sargent Peppers was one of the best all rounders.

Yes I am surprised that their memory has faded.

I can recall the excitement of going to a friend's house on the way home from school to hear the latest Lp on their Dansette auto-change player.

..... in the era of the Beatles and their ilk (Hands up those who do not know what a ilk is)

I enjoyed every album released by the Beatles as each one was a new adventure and full of something different and new, OK some of the tracks on the later albums were not to my taste,I would find it hard to say any particular one was my favourite, I suppose With the Beatles gave us some of their least complicated work with every song easy to live with and maybe Sargent Peppers was one of the best all rounders.

I know what an ilk is - and I guess Terry is not far out with his synopsis.

I know what an ilk is - and I guess Terry is not far out with his synopsis.

Fascinating what this forum throws up. But I wonder if you know precisely the origin.meaning of "Ilk". Scots, of course, its correct meaning is defined as:
"This is a Scots word, meaning 'same', used when the name of a property is the same as that of its owner: the Knockwinnocks of that ilk are the Knockwinnock family who own or live at Knockwinnock. It is often used to mean 'of the same name or family' or 'of the same type': The Davises are a family of engineers, and one of that ilk designs oil tankers; Barbara Cartland and her ilk (other writers of romantic fiction). Strictly speaking this is incorrect, and some Scots object to it quite strongly."

One great title: Sir Rupert Iain Kay Moncreiffe of that Ilk, 11th Baronet, CVO, QC.

In a similar vein one has "Lord Macdonald of Macdonald" (note lower case "d") as in:
The Right Honourable Godfrey James Macdonald of Macdonald,
8th Lord Macdonald,
Chief of the Name and Arms of Macdonald, High Chief of Clan Donald and 34th hereditary Chief of Clan Donald,

I thought there was a former Scottish railway company steam locomotive with "of that Ilk" in its name but I cannot find it now. Perhaps Chris remembers it.

I reckon, around about late summer 1967, Lennon would have LOVED ****s very large antlered ferrets! They would have made it into Magical Mystery Tour easily!!!

Today I see on the news that a band called Alt-J has won the Mercury Music award, yet I have never heard of them,amazing how times change,someone must be buying their music

Thank you all, now I´ve got the giggles (nearly typed goggles) about my own joke, I didn´t find it funny until I read your comments :D :D. That´s the first good laugh I have today.

I wonder what Alt-j means? I'm getting old, I think. Groups used to be called The Hollies, The Seekers, Slade, The Yardbirds. I'm turning into my gran!

I wonder what Alt-j means? I'm getting old, I think. Groups used to be called The Hollies, The Seekers, Slade, The Yardbirds. I'm turning into my gran!

The Yardbirds another great band from that era.Does anybody Know of The Zombies they were a great group as well :)

Back