The King and Queen

Who the most Royal of couples in Summer Wine?

• Sid and Ivy

• Wally and Nora

• Wesley and Edie

• Barry and Glenda

• Howard and Pearl

Results are only viewable after voting.

Inky Batty

Dedicated Member
The subject of this weeks discussion and poll.....the most loved MARRIED couple in Summer Wine land.
Some last longer than others, some younger than others, but I thought this was a worthy subject for discussion and you have the 5 long(ish) term and well established couple of the show.
Hardly knowing the young lady doesn't count for anything in this poll.
So, have a think, vote for your favourite and if you want to share your reasons as to why they were your pick, then please do so..

Well, Edie spoke the Queens english if she thought the neighbours could hear, but I think I'd say Nora & Wally. Nora was Queen & Wally her faithful servant.

Edie was of course Regal but Wesley most definitely not , as the purveyor of all thing mechanical and particularly cars and their component parts . In days of yore he would of probably been considered as a Merchant, which has regal tones but is effectively a seller of goods. So no Wesley could not be considered regal, he was simply a Big Hammer Merchant. I have opted for Nora and the long suffering Wally .

I have to say, that series 1-8 are my favourites. I love the more dialogue heavy interaction between fewer characters. I also like the gritty, darker, less slapstick elements of the show.
In later times it became like the cast of thousands.
It was a tough choice between Sid and Ivy and Wally and Nora for me.
I thought Sid was a brilliant character and a real loss to the show, although series 8 was a real triumph despite his loss.
Overall, the interplay between Sid and Ivy and our intrepid trio in the Cafe scenes were absolutely special and the best bits of the show for me.
In the end, I opted for Sid and Ivy. Brilliant characters and absolutely quintessential early Summer Wine.
That's to take nothing away from Wally and Nora, who were also absolutely wonderful.

I’ve gone for Wally and Nora, mainly because he has a motorcycle for many a symbol of freedom but still has to take Nora in the sidecar .….and he likes raspberry ruffles.
Really I couldn’t separate Sid/Ivy, Nora/ Wally and Wesley/ Edie.

What clinches it for me and just a snapshot is that scene near the start of Mending Stuart's Leg where Ivy is going mad and chucking plates outside and Sid is sweeping them up. Then the fella goes by pushing his bike and says "Morning Sid" as if it's just another morning in domestic life, not just in the Cafe but in the domestic life of the downtrodden husband in 1970's/80's Summer Wine land.
No matter how many times I see it, it still just cracks me up.
Just the utter normality of the dominant, miserable, joy sucking battle axe Yorkshire wife hurling plates at an utterly broken Yorkshire husband.
Like it's just one of the things that life is.
The interplay between Sid and Ivy are amongst my favourite ever scenes.

Same episode , the guy comes in and Ivy is in full flow. He says during a lull , "yours" Sid says yes. The guy says "wouldnt it be easier to cut your throat"? ...............................That is when Sid comes out with his Barley Wines remark:eek2:

Same episode , the guy comes in and Ivy is in full flow. He says during a lull , "yours" Sid says yes. The guy says "wouldnt it be easier to cut your throat"? ...............................That is when Sid comes out with his Barley Wines remark:eek2:

I still drink Barley Wine. Great for lacing beer with. :p:18:

A really good spread of votes so far. As I'd hoped. If there was a landslide winner, then the issue at hand really wouldn't be one worth chewing over.

Back