• Blamire

• Foggy

• Seymour

• Truly

• Hobbo

Results are only viewable after voting.

Inky Batty

Dedicated Member
The subject of this weeks poll isn't an episode, rather a key, fundamental and maybe divisive issue of was your favourite Third Man in the show.
Obviously there are five to choose from, although I can't see many votes for Hobbo to be honest.
Anyway, who in your opinion was the best/your favourite?

It is tough to vote because they all covered different eras of the show. The show itself changed as did the third man. Truly is really my favorite overall character (by a hair over Foggy) but Foggy had the most classic episodes and epic scenes. So I had to vote Foggy.

Then again, I absolutely loved the Seymour era as Summer Wine still had some of its original characteristics, but with great additions like the Pegdens, Barry, and Glenda (and still had Wally). Although this era wasn't necessarily great because of Seymour.

Blamire wasn't my favorite but I still would have loved to see more seasons with him.

There seemed to be a genuine warmth and friendship between Seymour Cleggy and Compo.
The dialogue seemed effortless and you could see that Michael brought them all together again,after Brian Wilde's departure.
Inky...it is such an impossible question to answer from my point of view...each had their own wonderful character traits [well...maybe not so much with Hobbo] and the writing was so amazing that all were believable in their roles.
For longevity and sheer lunacy you have to give our "Samuri/Silent killer" so much credit...Brian Wilde WAS Foggy...he was so believable...a perfect role for him....because he played it perfectly !!!!.
Michael Bates and Frank Thornton were fantastic....oh.......I AM CONFUSED.....my "summerwine lobe" in my brain has gone into meltdown......a brilliant question Inky !!!

I just recently finished the Hobbo era on our beloved cable channel, WETA-UK. I often skip the Hobbo era just to give myself a little break and gain an extra appreciation for when the show begins a new rotation. My wife is a mild Summer Wine fan who watches it sometimes with me. This was the first time she has ever seen Hobbo. It was funny because she was so annoyed by Hobbo.

However, this time I enjoyed Hobbo's first series. After all, it is still "Summer Wine Land." (referencing Vine's book). I like the whacky characters like Eli, Wesley, and Hobbo. While I liked Hobbo, but the character would have been better off as an extra.

Well, my vote has to be Foggy. When you talk to most people who are not avid fans of the show, most will enevitably describe Compo, Clegg and Foggy, even though they might not recognise them or know thier names, it is obvious who they mean. Before I was a fan on the show I did the same, and the episodes I remember seeing in my childhood were Foggy episodes from the early 1980s. He was one of my earliest memories, so it was obvious really.

Barry....I completely agree.....unfortunately Michael's stint in the show was tragically cut short.
As we know the beginning of series 3 was written with Blamire in mind.
It is so sad,as Michael stated that he really wanted to continue with his role.
The dialogue was so much more "earthy" and "caustic" in series 1 and 2....
Blamire's character was perfect for the cut and thrust of the conversations...much more than Foggy's character.

I love the early Blamire episodes not because he’s the third man but because of the gritty scenes, great scripts and more down to earth humour. Pate and Chips and The Changing Face Of Rural Blamire are great.
Foggy’s first tenure was also great especially Getting Sam Home and Who’s Looking After The Cafe Then etc so I’ll go for Foggy….. but only just.

I too would have loved to have seen more of Blamire but in a way it was out of Michael Bates hands that he had to finish. I didn't like Seymour when I first saw him but I have mellowed towards him over the years watching his episodes. The same thing with Hobbo. My pick would have to be with Foggy as I liked the character as soon as I started watching the show.
Though I would have to add this Foggy was the first third man I saw then we got episodes with Blamire in them and I thought how does he fit in. It wasn't till I got the DVD's that I understood.

This turned out to be a really good discussion, which I hoped it would and the results were about as I expected, Hobbo got one more vote than I anticipated and Truly maybe got one or two less, but overall, some good input and thoughts.
And a good turn out on the poll too.
I've got another one lined up for next week.

Back