The Till

maltrab

Administrator
Staff member
In several episodes Granville found a way of opening/closing the till without losing his fingers, once he put a cloth on the top section and it behaved normally. Okay I know it is part of the episodes plot lines, but any sensible person would have stuck with something that worked.

I've always wanted to know who was pulling draw shut behind the scenes and what they had against Ronny Barker, they definitely got his fingers a couple of times.

I love the episode when Granville strikes a bargain with Arkwright about getting a new till when he states in exchange he will get Arkwright access to Nurse Gladys's bedroom. It is peppered with the phrase "How Much!!" when the salesman obviously quotes too high a price and sadly the new till does not arrive , which of course it never would given the comic interlude the till provides in every show.

I have also noticed that Arkwright just pushes random keys and the amount rung up never matches what he says is the charge to the customer nor does the money he deposits and occasionally removes match the cost and change due , it is clearly just the comic effect of the till that was the aim.

Last edited:
I love the episode when Granville strikes a bargain with Arkwright about getting a new till when he states in exchange he will get Arkwright access to Nurse Gladys's bedroom. It is peppered with the phrase "How Much!!" when the salesman obviously quotes too high a price and sadly the new till does not arrive , which of course it never would given the comic interlude the till provides in every show.

I have also noticed that Arkwright just pushes random keys and the amount rung up never matches what he says is the charge to the customer nor does the money he deposits and occasionally removes match the cost and change due , it is clearly just the comic effect of the till that was the aim.
That was the last episode.
It reminds of my husband, we took our daughters and 2 grandchildren to Weston Super Mare one day we decided to take bus into town, we got on the bus and all bundled upstairs and left him to pay the driver, all of a sudden there was a scream " How much ??" the when bus laughed. Not sure he ever got over the shock.

I believe the till reminded Granville in an affectionate way of Arkwright, being the reason why he did not want to replace it with a new one. Along side the fact that a new till would cost him extra money to be spent.

Hiyas, Barry and thanks. Meaning to drop you a message sometime about cycling and Holmfirth. Will do a little later.
Yep feel free, off to Holmfirth in a couple of weeks with the Bromptons in fact, could probably do with an ebike up those hills. But that's probably more to do with my lack of fitness than the type of bike :p

Hiyas Bora Natty, I really like that picture of Arkwright as well. Found it on Ebay and Etsy, sometimes I'm tempted to get one just for giggles, to see if anyone recognizes Ronnie B. Have it saved on my watch list. :D

Hiyas Marianna, did you ever get an induction stove top upgrade yet? If so, do you like it?

Thanks for the sympathy, Captain Clutterbuck and RickAns. I'm just pleased to have survived sepsis and the kidney infection that caused it. The budget will recover in a few years and eventually I'll regain my health, as well. Then I'll go back to spending on a few luxuries like an induction cooktop.

Back