Trulys Rank?

Barrychuckle

Administrator
Staff member
I've always thought that Truelove was an Inspector in the Police, I'm sure Miss Davenport calls him Inspector Truelove a couple of times, but in Beware of The Oglethorpe he says he was Sgt Truelove of the Yard?

In his first appearance he said he was former Detective Sergeant Herbert Truelove. In later episodes it was either Inspector or Sergeant but I guess he must have been promoted sometime during his career.

Thanks Roger, it's surprising he ever rose beyond the rank of Constable with all the magic he had in his head!

Maybe he was always a Constable. Like Foggy with his war stories he inflated his rank and all the criminals he clobbered. Maybe he was always in lost property like Clegg said in one episode. :)

In one episode Compo said Truly was a failed dog handler.

I knew a Security Officer at my local Airport who was an ex [mad] Marine [He looked like Brian Blessed same beard but solid muscle] and he got reprimanded but wasn't dismissed because he was patrolling and his boss had gone , unannounced, into the Secure Engineering area of the Airport . My friend legitimately let his dog off the leash and ordered it to detain his boss which it duly did, tearing his uniform and biting him in several places during the struggle .

When my friend approached him , well you can imagine the reaction and language . His Boss asked him about treatment for the bites so pouring fuel on the fire , as he didn't really didn't like the boss , he said "Don't worry I'll be taking the dog to the Vet's to make sure he didn't pick up any infection!" :)

Back