Uncle of the Bride

cciaffone

Dedicated Member
Watched Uncle of the Bride last night. Really a
wonderful introduction to Seymour, Barry, Edie, and
Glenda. Kinda surprised that they had Wesley in for
so many episodes before they brought in Edie.

Especially loved Wesley's HUGE automobile.
No idea what it is/was, but it was beautiful.

chuck

Wesley was introduced in Series Six, but only appeared in two episodes (one being a quick uncredited cameo). Then he came back in Series Eight but only appeared in two episodes. So he really wasn't in all that many episodes before Uncle of the Bride, really just three.

As I have said before I really enjoyed the Seymour year's. Uncle of the Bride is a classic special 's episode. I think that Seymour fitted in so well with Compo and Clegg. As for the car Wesley drove I asked my hubby, he like 's his car's tell 's me he think 's it is an Austin Vanden Plas.

I seem to remember that Wesley had health problems when he started in the show and had to stop acting for a while and then came back he was okay, he was a painter decorator who did am drams and impressed Roy .Wesley was a character I always liked he was so enthusiastic and his vehicles were amazing and his big hammer approach was a pleasing one to watch sad when he passed away the show lost something.

As I have said before I really enjoyed the Seymour year's. Uncle of the Bride is a classic special 's episode. I think that Seymour fitted in so well with Compo and Clegg. As for the car Wesley drove I asked my hubby, he like 's his car's tell 's me he think 's it is an Austin Vanden Plas.

Your hubby could probably be right Gill. The only picture I could find(not too big) of an Austin 1968 Vanden Plas Princess.View attachment 862

Wesley was introduced in Series Six, but only appeared in two episodes (one being a quick uncredited cameo).

Not sure about that.

As far as I know, Gordon auditioned for the part of 'man on roof' in In the Service of Humanity, but impressed Alan JW Bell so much he decided to cast him as Wesley in Car and Garter. From what I can gather from many viewings of In the Service of Humanity, the man on the roof is another actor.

Gordon was an uncredited extra on Forked Lightning though, he played the (smiling) man on bus.

I seem to remember that Wesley had health problems when he started in the show and had to stop acting for a while and then came back he was okay, he was a painter decorator who did am drams and impressed Roy .Wesley was a character I always liked he was so enthusiastic and his vehicles were amazing and his big hammer approach was a pleasing one to watch sad when he passed away the show lost something.

His health problems happened when they were filming Uncle of the Bride. Apparently Gordon Wharmby stressed himself out over the prospect of working with a legend like Thora Hird to the point where he had a mental breakdown, though that wasn't realized as the cause right away. Alan Bell tried to film around him and some scenes were changed while in others they used a double to get the shot. For example, the shot at the end where Wesley and Edie walk Glenda into the church is actually a double. Eventually Bell got the doctors to release Gordon into his care for a few days and they got enough done with him that it allowed them to finish the film. During that they realized what the cause was and Gordon realized Thora Hird was a human after all.

That is the story in Bells book, anyway.

Didn't like to say he had a breakdown evidently he used to advise the set decorators to do the job properly and often would say about he could paint the front of a house in two days.

The Car used in this episode was a Humber Imperial, also looks like the Super Snipe,similar to this picture

Attachments

• humber 1954.jpg
    humber 1954.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 6
Loved this episode the storyline is very good and Barry is such a dope his comments about his bearings are priceless and Seymour is just right ,Edie,s comment about him being the brains of the family is priceless.Wesley summed it up though their mother was on the education board not what you know its who you know his expirements were great and I would a motorised wheel barrow a great addition to the show.

Thank's for that Terry. I have just sacked my hubby as chief car spotter!!!

Did they make the car look clapped out or was it in that state when they bought it as just looking at the wings they did not match ,If it was distressed I bet the owner went home crying!I enjoyed the weird vehicles he came up with the amphi car,the bed now that was a brilliant one and seeing Nora lying on it must have sent Compo berserk still miss him in later episodes as he could have brightened up the Hobbo years.

Back