Victoria Square, Holmfirth

maltrab

Administrator
Staff member
Interesting vintage photo of Victoria Square in Holmfirth, the building to the right of Kaye's hardware has gone, along with the large building that was opposite Kaye's, you can can spot Cleggy's and Howards home in the top of the picture, I can see Howard cleaning windows
VS.jpg

Interesting vintage photo of Victoria Square in Holmfirth, the building to the right of Kaye's hardware has gone, along with the large building that was opposite Kaye's, you can can spot Cleggy's and Howards home in the top of the picture, I can see Howard cleaning windows
View attachment 7335
I did actually have to zoom in on the picture to see if I could see Howard!!!!!

So is that Beatties straight ahead then ? IF it is I am sure I can see a guy with a Box Brownie in the top window taking photos once a minute to be displayed on a Magic Lantern :08:
No Captain, the buildings to the right of Kaye's with sloped roof was demolished due to a coach or lorry crash at the bottom of Dunford road, I think the building in front of Kaye's was washed away during the floods

... I think the building in front of Kaye's was washed away during the floods
Or was that in the terrace on Town Gate that was demolished to make the road wide enough to accommodate motor vehicles? I'm certain that several buildings on the other side of the bridge were destroyed in the Whit Monday flood of 1944. There's an interesting article at https://huddersfield.exposed/wiki/Holmfirth_Flood_of_1944

No Captain, the buildings to the right of Kaye's with sloped roof was demolished due to a coach or lorry crash at the bottom of Dunford road, I think the building in front of Kaye's was washed away during the floods

Doh, I saw the word " Square " and thought it was face on from the road so the Cafe was hidden on the right and we were looking straight at Beatties , specsavers awaits. ;)

Back