Wally and his 'Moll'

I don't want to put a spoke in our beloved heroes wheel but watching Here we go into the Wild Blue Yonder I cannot help but notice that Joe Gladwin seems to have what I would call "a real boozers nose" . When you see it in the close up shots it is rather purple and broken veins . I apologise in advance but do we know if Joe was a heavy drinker or could this be caused by some other ailment . Is it mentioned in any of the books . On the net it refers to him dying of a non-communicable disease but that could be anything just it was not an infection he caught from someone else.

I don't want to put a spoke in our beloved heroes wheel but watching Here we go into the Wild Blue Yonder I cannot help but notice that Joe Gladwin seems to have what I would call "a real boozers nose" . When you see it in the close up shots it is rather purple and broken veins . I apologise in advance but do we know if Joe was a heavy drinker or could this be caused by some other ailment . Is it mentioned in any of the books . On the net it refers to him dying of a non-communicable disease but that could be anything just it was not an infection he caught from someone else.

Rhinophyma, perhaps, captain clutterbuck? Apparently alcohol can make it worse.

Back