What’s in thou matchbox, mate?

Eli’sComing

Dedicated Member
A2404478-C2B9-4724-BA48-22F5B2923DC1.jpeg
What was in the matchbox?
Maybe someone out there knows for certain
Perhaps it’s the desiccated remains of librarian Shag Nasty
Since it’s near his final episode when the infamous matchbox makes it’s first dramatic appearance

Wouldn't the props have technically belonged to the BBC? I wouldn't think they would have kept them themselves; they would have been stored by the props manager or some such person. I read a book by Grace Lee Whitney (from Orig. Star Trek) in which she talked about personal props disappearing between seasons from storage.
It may be managed differently over there, especially knowing that some items, like Peter's suit, was his own property originally. Whitney talked about when Star Trek was cancelled, they were all allowed to take something relating to their character, and I wonder if a similar privilege was extended to the LOTSW cast or surviving families. For Bill I would think the family would have picked Compo's hats. Personally, I've always wondered if Peter would have picked Clegg's pocket watch, though maybe it came with the suit.

Wouldn't the props have technically belonged to the BBC?

They do indeed unless the star brought their own personal possession to use however, at the end of filming of a series or show the stars often take items as a memento of their time on the show , clearly the Holmfirth museum secured a number of the props from the show so imagine the stars would easily secure something within reason if they requested it . I have seen actors interviewed where they have alluded to what they kept from their appearances and I think that is preferable to them either being skipped or consigned to a musty old storeroom never to see the light of day.

They probably just chucked the matchbox(es) away, as I'm sure the actual prob wouldn't have actually contained anything

Wouldn't the props have technically belonged to the BBC?

They do indeed unless the star brought their own personal possession to use however, at the end of filming of a series or show the stars often take items as a memento of their time on the show , clearly the Holmfirth museum secured a number of the props from the show so imagine the stars would easily secure something within reason if they requested it . I have seen actors interviewed where they have alluded to what they kept from their appearances and I think that is preferable to them either being skipped or consigned to a musty old storeroom never to see the light of day.

... also, when a prop is not needed again, it is not cost effective to take back to London and store it, so the BBC just gave stuff away!

Yes and the matchbox is in compos
museum

I wouldn’t mind a few ferrets on me head
If someone would tell me please
WHAT IS IN THE MATCHBOX?
I think really, we know that it was empty. Someone with a better memory than me can tell you the episode in which Bill had the matchbox backwards and it is clearly seen. Since Compo talks to it and feeds it (Flower Power Cut) I assume it is suposed to be something alive. That it upsets women and those of more tender constitutions I assume it's a creepy crawly.
I either read or listened to an interview with Peter Sallis in which he said that it was Bill Owen's own idea to fill his costume pockets with all sorts of odds and ends to amuse the children in the village hanging around the set with.
In another reference, there are audio versions of many of the episodes which Peter Sallis narrates and in one he states that he had sworn an oath never to reveal the contents of the matchbox.

Thanks
A very comprehensive answer
I will check out flower power cut
And does anyone know in which episode the matchbox is backwards

Thanks
A very comprehensive answer
I will check out flower power cut
And does anyone know in which episode the matchbox is backwards
I recall seeing it, it was a pub scene and he is opening it to make a lady pub customer scream, which she did,but then you could see it was empty and why would she scream to see the back of a matchbox

I recall seeing it, it was a pub scene and he is opening it to make a lady pub customer scream, which she did,but then you could see it was empty and why would she scream to see the back of a matchbox
It was in Das Welly Boot when he opened it backwards. Most of the open part is covered by Compo's finger but if you pause at the right moment and zoom in you see that it is empty.

It was in Das Welly Boot when he opened it backwards. Most of the open part is covered by Compo's finger but if you pause at the right moment and zoom in you see that it is empty.
As I'm currently going through my LOTSW DVD collection and, by sheer coincidence, Das Welly Boot is the next one coming along, I'll keep a look out for it.

I too will soon be searching for das Wally boot
You know, when I first saw the title of that episode, I thought poor old Compo was going to go for another ride in a submarine

Back