What is it with Hearses & Milk Floats?

Barrychuckle

Administrator
Staff member
I was watching KUA tonight where one of Roses 'gentlemen friends' turns up to Hyacinths house in a hearse much to her horror!

That got me thinking, Hearses have been used in a few episodes of LOTSW to comedic effect, and clearly there was a milk float appearing regularly in these 2 series and OAH. Am I correct in thinking OAH also featured a hearse in an episode or two, I cannot recall?

I case these 2 modes of transport are something Roy Clarke found particularly amusing as they seem to feature regularly in his comedies.

A Hearse was also the 'new shop vehicle' in an OAH episode.
A hearse featured frequently in Summer Wine.
Barry's Christmas for one.
And Milk floats as you say.
I think it was a product of the time and his upbringing. He wrote about what he knew, his life experience and in context.
I have to say I love that basic, working class experience of life that represented what I saw and what everyone in every community that was slightly down at heel saw in those days. The Coal man on a Friday, the Pop and cake man on a Wednesday. The Doctor or Nurse doing their rounds at a certain time on a certain day of the week.Life in those days was about routine and tradition, even the local Undertaker was a focal and respected member of the community.
You bought your Milk off the Milkman, your bread off the Breadman etc
Going to a big, multi-purpose store where everything was under one big roof was a walk on the wild side for some of us of a certain age.

I still remember the days when the Coal man was due, if it was 11.22 am on a Friday, yer Nan would say "son, off you pop down and open the gate and open the back shed door, he'll be here in a minute or two"
And then 3 fellas who looked like they'd spent there entire life underground would emerge from a lorry and wander up the path and lob the lot into a back shed by the toilet.
And your Nan would shout out "would you be wanting a cuppa?"
"No, thank you Missus, grand for the offer but we've got another 500 houses to do yet, but we'll grab a couple of plums off yer tree on the way down if that's ok"

I remember the Pools collector who used to come and take my money each week, can't imagine they're any of them left either.

My father in law still had a pop man a couple of years ago, I'm sure he must be one of the last remaining in the UK!!!!

I remember the Pools collector who used to come and take my money each week, can't imagine they're any of them left either.

My father in law still had a pop man a couple of years ago, I'm sure he must be one of the last remaining in the UK!!!!
Yes, the coupon man from Littlewoods or Vernons! Thursday morning either at work or he'd come round,like the tally man!
Wednesday night, there's your Gramps, pencil behind his ear looking at the weekends fixtures and studying the form!! 2 lines of 10 draws and a separate line of 5 aways!

I was still at college at the time so could only afford one line, bless him the collector used to call at my house for 60p each week. Can't imagine he got much commission off me. Mind you I never got rich off the Pools either!!!!!!!

Yes, the coupon man from Littlewoods

Mentioned Bobby Thompson Geordie Comedian he used to tell the joke about there being a loud knock at the door when he answered the man said " Hello Mr Thompson I'm Mr Sinclair from Littlewoods " " Gerraway have Ah got 8 draws up and yav come with the cheque" "No sorry Mr Thompson your wife has fallen behind with her Catalogue payments and I've come to take the Sofa away!"

We had one up to about 4 years ago.

We have a veg man come every Tuesday and my daughter round the corner gets milk delivered every day, my aunts milkman was a god send during lockdown because he delivered her bread and eggs too. Come to think of it she gets tea delivered twice a month. There's still a few delivery people still kicking about but it seems to be a dying art now.
Good grief I sound old!!!

Milk floats - of a sort - are making their way back!

I was a local authority Housing Officer for a while - one of the older staff had been there since rent was collected door-to-door. He used to count the money on the bus on the way home!
We started off in a council house about 300 years ago and for the first few months the rent was collected but then they stopped. I don't think anyone would count money on a bus nowadays.

Mentioned Bobby Thompson Geordie Comedian he used to tell the joke about there being a loud knock at the door when he answered the man said " Hello Mr Thompson I'm Mr Sinclair from Littlewoods " " Gerraway have Ah got 8 draws up and yav come with the cheque" "No sorry Mr Thompson your wife has fallen behind with her Catalogue payments and I've come to take the Sofa away!"
I had a cheque delivered from Littlewoods once, I nearly died but when i opened it it was last weeks money back because we hadn't filled the form in properly.
My mam was in a pools syndicate at work they won big time twice once was £25.000 and a couple of years later £50.000 it was a lot of money between 10 people back then.

When the Provy man came for his money if they were short of money people used to let him knock until he eventually went away , well the skin gave way before the paint.

When the Provy man came for his money if they were short of money people used to let him knock until he eventually went away , well the skin gave way before the paint.
I remember the Provy man. Last time I saw him he came round selling towel bundles for £19, £1 a week. I bought one but he never came back for the money!

Back