What the blood and stomach pills !!!!!

MoodyBlue

Dedicated Member
Whilst watching Nelly and Eli Pledge mismanaging their pickle empire in Colne,Lancashire [A GUILTY PLEASURE.....I LOVE NEAREST AND DEAREST !!!..Hilda Baker is an absolute comedy genius !!!!.. she and Jimmy Jewell worked so well together......"HAVE YER BEEN WALTER ?...YEH...I THINK HE'S BEEN"] I was aghast when I heard Nelly exclaim "WHAT THE BLOOD AND STOMACH PILLS !!!!".......
Now I originally thought it was written by Roy Clarke to cut out the bad language [well...THE "B" WORD] between Ivy and Sid in the early episodes....but how wrong I was !!!....SO....could one of my Summerwine family members shed some light on the history and usage of that phrase used by Ivy throughout OUR show....."WHAT THE BLOOD AND STOMACH PILLS !!!!"...
X!

How did Walter ever learn his lines!! Madge Hindle did the talking for the both off them . I loved the show Hilda Baker was the real star whilst Jimmy Jewel was a great foil I always felt Hilda deserved the praise for the show, the malapropisms were just fantastic “I can say that without fear of contraception” and “You haven't had the pleasure of me yet” are two I remember well. Great spot Keith about the infamous line. :)

I loved Nellie Pledge (Don’t you dorken my darkstep) and Eli,they would have fitted in perfectly in Summer Wine land,I can vaguely remember another series with Jimmy Jewel where he befriended a teenage boy,I think it was call Spring and Autumn,I keep looking out for all these old shows on Talking Pictures tv,and sometimes Forces tv have them as well,much better than modern comedy,and modern sitcoms.
Well spotted MoodyBlue about the catchphrase,apparently it’s a Yorkshire saying for expressing surprise or shock at something,I’v lived in Yorkshire all my life and have never heard it first hand,in fact the first time I heard it was from Ivy on LOTSW,your post has got me wanting to watch Nearest and Dearest now,there’s none coming up on the tv but plenty of clips and episodes on YouTube.

Back