Worst Christmas tv Special

amos hames

Dedicated Member
Every year we are bombarded with Christmas Specials from tv shows being drama or comedy.Which has been the most dissapointing that you have ever seen.Something that has been hyped up but when you watched it was rubbish.Your comments please. :)

This year there was very little for Xmas on German TV, I was a bit surprised, it didn´t use to be as bad as that. There was a new productin of Münchhausen on. I didn´t watch it though.
If anybody knows about him, I don´t know. He was a real person from the 18th century who was quite eccentric, and the adventurous stories he told have become legends, and it seems quite a few have been invented later after is death. For example about a trip in the snow in Russia, how he tied his horse to what he thought was a pole or tree and went to sleep curled up next to it, and in the morning he woke up on a churchyard and the horse was dangling from the top of a bell tower. According to him what happened was that the snow had gone up all the way to the bell tower, then melted during the night and he sunk down with it, but his horse, tied to the tower, was hanging there. He shot the halter in two and the horse came down, miraculously still alive ;).
Or the one about the bugle that was frozen so much that no tone came of it, and when it was brought inside, it warmed up and then by itself released the tune that had been frozen too.
Of course it was all rubbish, but people loved his stories and do to this day.
His descendant gave critics about the new TV production and was very disappointed in it. That doesn´t surprise me, there was an absolutely fantastic one from 1943, in colour, which I adore. With a much loved actor in the lead. The interesting thing is, that actor was loved by Hitler too, but not vice versa because he had a Jewish wife and didn´t agree one bit with the politics and everybody knew. The script to that film was written by a very popular author who was actually banned by the nazis, but still it was recognised how good he was, so he was asked to write the script, but under a pseudonym. There were scenes playing in Russia obviously, but interestingly the nazis didn´t use that to shed a bad light on them. So that film is much loved to this day and no other Münchhausen film will ever reach it. Also thanks to the great Hans Albers playing the leading part. Now I wish they´d put that on this Christmas...!

This year there was very little for Xmas on German TV, I was a bit surprised, it didn´t use to be as bad as that. There was a new productin of Münchhausen on. I didn´t watch it though.
If anybody knows about him, I don´t know. He was a real person from the 18th century who was quite eccentric, and the adventurous stories he told have become legends, and it seems quite a few have been invented later after is death. For example about a trip in the snow in Russia, how he tied his horse to what he thought was a pole or tree and went to sleep curled up next to it, and in the morning he woke up on a churchyard and the horse was dangling from the top of a bell tower. According to him what happened was that the snow had gone up all the way to the bell tower, then melted during the night and he sunk down with it, but his horse, tied to the tower, was hanging there. He shot the halter in two and the horse came down, miraculously still alive ;).
Or the one about the bugle that was frozen so much that no tone came of it, and when it was brought inside, it warmed up and then by itself released the tune that had been frozen too.
Of course it was all rubbish, but people loved his stories and do to this day.
His descendant gave critics about the new TV production and was very disappointed in it. That doesn´t surprise me, there was an absolutely fantastic one from 1943, in colour, which I adore. With a much loved actor in the lead. The interesting thing is, that actor was loved by Hitler too, but not vice versa because he had a Jewish wife and didn´t agree one bit with the politics and everybody knew. The script to that film was written by a very popular author who was actually banned by the nazis, but still it was recognised how good he was, so he was asked to write the script, but under a pseudonym. There were scenes playing in Russia obviously, but interestingly the nazis didn´t use that to shed a bad light on them. So that film is much loved to this day and no other Münchhausen film will ever reach it. Also thanks to the great Hans Albers playing the leading part. Now I wish they´d put that on this Christmas...!

I think many of us would like the quality TV show's that we used to have at Christmas back on our TV's,when we used to sit there glued to the set for 2-3 days with not even one repeat,then we had New Near when there was always something good to look forward to,now all we have is the usual soaps,some has been films and endless repeats we did not want to watch the first time around,I suppose with all the rubbish on TV it helps boost DVD sales and folk signing up to watch streamed TV, I am saddened to say that I would think anyone under the age of 20 has no idea what quality TV viewing is really all about

Quite Right Terry.This years schedule was poor i remember when i used to get exited about the christmas specials it would be something special to watch yor favourite shows.I mean all we seem to have again was repeats of Morcombe and Wise and Fools and Horses again as much as i like that show i can watch it any time on DvD.Endless hours of tedious soap operas and the god awful Downton Abbey' >:(

I tried to watch Outnumbered, but the 'supposedly' funny situation of a woman vomiting her way through a party made me switch off. A shame as there were some good bits. We watched Downton Abbey, but only because there was nothing much on. Why do the BBC and the other Chanel's not understand that the majority of people who are watching on Christmas evening are old, the others are out partying!!

We had Downton Abbey in Germany for the first time this Christmas, my mother was immediately hooked which doesn´t happen easily. I watched most of it too. It´s something fresh and new here, so if you are fed up with it, this gives you an idea how exciting TV is over here...!

Its a good job **** wasn't subject to Eastenders as well!! I was at my daughters and had to sit through it , I whiled away the misery by doing crosswords!! :-\ :'(

all i watched over christmas was the doctor who special and coronation street, nothing else appealed to me so stuck to dvds in the evenings

Its a good job **** wasn't subject to Eastenders as well!! I was at my daughters and had to sit through it , I whiled away the misery by doing crosswords!! :-\ :'(

I went to stay with my auntie for a few days last month and she asked if we liked Come Dancing I said no buts your telly so you should watch it, I thought 1 hour won't kill me!! But yee gods it was on for 2 hours!!! ::) ::)

well its worth a watch...a few series made in the 90's and a number of christmas specials over the last few years....its basically about a feckless family called the royles who live in a rough coucil estate in manchester drawing on benefits or in dead end jobs ...its quite base in its humour but it portrays much of what life is like at the bottom of the social scale and it can be gentle and thought provoking too...plus hilarious ...well for me anyway... have a go and judge for yourself... ;)

Back