Yes, Minister

Adanor

Dedicated Member
The premise of this show couldn't be further from LOTSW -- but wait a minute, there are some similarities. The minister, James Hacker, like Foggy. is the head guy and he is generally a clueless government stiff. Sir Humphrey Appleby is like Cleggy in that he expresses great wisdom. And Bernard Wolley is sort of like Compo in that he's the physical guy, he gets things done. True, most of the episodes are filmed in government offices and everyone is well dressed, but the relationships and interplay seems to be the same.

Yes, Minister is a classic. So is Yes, Prime Minister. It took me a bit to fully appreciate the show.

I always liked Mrs. Hacker, think she did a great job. Continuing with your line of thought.. who do you think she could be - Glenda? Mr. Hacker's female adviser (forget her name) from episodes like The Key. Where she foils Mr. Applebly's plot against her. Could she be Pearl's equivalent?

Yes, Minister is a classic. So is Yes, Prime Minister. It took me a bit to fully appreciate the show.
agree... maybe I didnt understand how corrupt politics really is when it first came out - but boy o boy, isnt it scarily truthful!!!!!

Have to agree, fine series. What is scary is that the truth in governmental services was a lot nearer to the depiction than you might realise. There wasa lot of manipulation and careful handling of material that allowed the process to continue unaltereed despite those who thought they ran the show! Lot of discussion in corridors and outline plans on the back of fag packets which meant that you could write the minutes of the meeting beforehand! And always couched in the most polite language even if you violently disagreed - so very different to what is seen on the internet these days.

Have to agree, fine series. What is scary is that the truth in governmental services was a lot nearer to the depiction than you might realise. There wasa lot of manipulation and careful handling of material that allowed the process to continue unaltereed despite those who thought they ran the show! Lot of discussion in corridors and outline plans on the back of fag packets which meant that you could write the minutes of the meeting beforehand! And always couched in the most polite language even if you violently disagreed - so very different to what is seen on the internet these days.
Maybe that's why I know what they're going to say, why they said it, and what they're going to say next.

Back