Been posting for a while - time to introduce myself

Marianna

Dedicated Member
Hello everyone.

I'm Marianna, a.k.a. "index4u", from south central upstate New York.

About ten years ago, my local Public Broadcasting station, WSKG Binghamton, broadcast a couple of seasons of LOTSW, from Leaving Home Forever (Or Till Teatime) to A Sidecar Named Desire, but not the Christmas specials that were originally aired between those seasons. I was hooked part way through Leaving Home Forever ..., so I did a bit of research and discovered that the series had started many years prior to that episode, and that the DVDs were available in the UK. It took more research to find a region-free player, but then I bought the first two DVD sets the next summer while I was staying in Canterbury.

It was frustration about the DVD releases not continuing on a frequent schedule that prompted me to do an internet search for "Last of the Summer Wine DVD series 25". That brought me to this web site and to the Series 25 & 26 DVD on the Way? thread. I registered in order to post to that thread, and I've been enjoying the site ever since.

I live in a pleasant village along the Chemung River, and have lived in this area all of my life except when I was away for college and university. I retired in 2001 from a career as a librarian, having worked for the final 13 years in a science and technology library. I grew up on a dairy farm about 10 miles from my present home.

My favorite pastimes are choral singing (I'm a mezzo-soprano), landscape photography, genealogy and travel, especially to the UK. The photography and the genealogy both contribute to itinerary planning. I've spent a week in Nuneaton, Warwickshire, because my maternal grandfather's ancestors emigrated from there to the Massachusetts Bay Colony (1639). Of course there's been some time in London at the British Museum looking at documents from that area dating earlier than their departure, as well as doing a lot of touristy activities while I was there. The other three branches of the family are Scottish, and I have yet to dig into those ancestral lines.

Last year I started my travel with some research in London, but spent most of my trip in the Lakes District, on a couple of photography holidays and a choral singing holiday. Of course, I spent the time between London and the Lakes in Huddersfield, with excursions to Summer Wine sites. This year's itinerary will take me to London for more genealogy research and touring, North Wales for photography and Derbyshire for industrial history.

Getting a bit long-winded, so I'll shut up for now. :)

Last edited:
Nice to get a bit of background Marianna, and a name in particular! Index4u didnt exactly trip off the tongue:wink:

Thanks for your introduction, considering I have had you on my friends contacts for a few weeks now. To be a librarian you have a lot of lineage information, being in NY and so close to where most of our people came through legally through Ellis Island. Virginia in the 1700's is as far as I can go. Thanks for you input in the forum!!:)

Index4u didnt exactly trip off the tongue:wink:

"Index4U" was the business name I used many years ago when I began moonlighting as a book indexer so I made the all lower case form my username, as well, upon joining the American Society for Indexing web site. It has become second nature for me to the point that when I'm asked for a username it trips off the ends of my fingers without my having to think about it, so I've gone on using it as a matter of convenience even though the only indexes I've compiled in quite a while have been as a volunteer for the local history society.

"Index4U" was the business name I used many years ago when I began moonlighting as a book indexer

Verrry Interesting!! Back in the 60's I started out indexing
Program Logic Manuals for IBM. Worked my way into technical
writing, technical editing, and eventually Publications Planning
(WHEW!!). Started on TSS/360, the very first multi-user
computer ever. Ended up doing TCP/IP and firewalls. A really
interesting ride.

A really interesting ride.

Sounds like a great gig.

I started out indexing a book on micro-optics before progressing to my real interest - history, especially local history. Then I branched out a bit to index Popular Mechanics' woodworking books. When I was ready to really retire, I returned to local history, but as a volunteer. Those projects are very occasional, so they suit my more relaxed retirement life.

Sounds like a great gig.
Those projects are very occasional, so they suit my more relaxed retirement life.

Yeah, me as well. Retired in 97, permanently in 2000. Not
worked a bit since!!

Now I read Nevil Shute and Dick Francis (among others), ride
our tandem bike, and walk the dawg.

Oh no! really starting to enjoy it. It all sounds so interesting.

Thanks, Tony.

I was running out of time, too. Had to eat lunch and go to the gym for an appointment with one of the trainers. I'm coming back from a layoff of nearly a year and with some particular muscle weaknesses, so needed pointers to the best exercise routine to address them as well as to work out generally. I'm feeling the result this morning!

Marianna

Back